How long after callings are changed in MLS do they appear in lds.org

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

My philosophy on this subject is: With the exception of contact information MLS is the only place to fix issues. Make sure MLS is accurate and the rest of the data bases will soon fall in sync.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:My philosophy on this subject is: With the exception of contact information MLS is the only place to fix issues.
Correct.

Gary_Miller wrote: Make sure MLS is accurate and the rest of the data bases will soon fall in sync.

If only it worked that way. Unfortunately, there are times when MLS gets out of sync with the rest of the system and will NOT fall back in sync automatically. In that situation one has to follow the Correcting duplicate or missing callings procedure to get things back in sync.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
robertericmuttenthaler

Ward Directory up dates and clean up

Post by robertericmuttenthaler »

I've had my calling as the Ward building rep now for about 2 months and it still hasn't been changed in our ward listings, infact there are alot of things in our ward directory that need changing and cleaned up.. We've had people move out of our ward and are still listed in the directory... Anyone have any ideas on how to get this taken care of ?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

robertericmuttenthaler wrote:I've had my calling as the Ward building rep now for about 2 months and it still hasn't been changed in our ward listings, in fact there are a lot of things in our ward directory that need changing and cleaned up.. We've had people move out of our ward and are still listed in the directory... Anyone have any ideas on how to get this taken care of ?
These are all things that the ward clerk should be taking care of; he is responsible to make sure that callings are correctly recorded and that member records are properly moved in and out of the ward. I'd suggest that you talk with him. If he has problems, he can work with the stake clerk.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
rontilby

Post by rontilby »

There is also the possibility that the ward clerk is keeping MLS current, but is not currently concerning himself with the data on LDS.ORG until after Tithing Settlement is over, and some of the outstanding software bugs are fixed.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

rontilby wrote:There is also the possibility that the ward clerk is keeping MLS current, but is not currently concerning himself with the data on LDS.ORG until after Tithing Settlement is over, and some of the outstanding software bugs are fixed.
That's what we're doing. Having MLS current is all that matters to us.. Its our belief that the other data systems will soon catch up.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Gary_Miller wrote:That's what we're doing. Having MLS current is all that matters to us.. Its our belief that the other data systems will soon catch up.
The problems with that are:
1) Currently CDOL is defined as the system of record, so the only way to 'sync' the two systems is from CDOL down to MLS. If CDOL is not correct, then anytime a sync occurs you will lose what you have only in MLS. Part of the reason for this decision is to support Clerk Resources being able to edit callings. As that moves forward MLS can't be the authoritative source.
2) If it doesn't make it to CDOL people won't have any rights on lds.org that they should have.
3) As any members look online they will not see the correct information.

As a note MLS 3.5.1 was suppose to request a 'sync' from CDOL, but due to a misunderstanding that 'sync' will be pushed out soon (I think this week). Hopefully this will help solve some of the issues with callings not making it to lds.org.
rontilby

Post by rontilby »

Ryan, With all due respect, for Callings, MLS is the only system that Clerks can currently directly control. The sync from MLS to CDOL has been broken in various ways since shortly before the MLS 3.5 rollout began. I've tried multiple times to get CDOL to correctly reflect the correct current callings in my ward, including the Correcting duplicate or missing callings procedures, and CDOL is still out of sync. (This includes an attempt with the MLS 3.5.1 release that was pushed down and installed last Sunday.) While CDOL may be the declared system of record for callings, local clerks currently are unable to make it correctly reflect reality.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

Ryan, thank you for the information on how this works. I'll bump a check against the CDL and make sure we are in sync. So far I have seen no problems coming back into MLS so I think we will be Ok.
cspring

Post by cspring »

I performed a Unit Refresh per the instructions on the Correcting Duplicate or missing callings wiki (https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Callings#Corr ... g_callings), however the callings on lds.org are still not updating. Everything worked correctly until the update to 3.5. MLS contains the correct information however the changes are not reflected on directory or the clerk section of lds.org.

Any other suggestions I can try to get MLS and the website in sync?

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”