How long after callings are changed in MLS do they appear in lds.org

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
rpyne

Re: Re:

Post by rpyne »

jdlessley wrote:For callings, MLS maintains a copy of a subset of data stored in CDOL. Synchronization is necessary to update the copy of data on MLS with CDOL. MLS also is able to update the centralized database.
If that doesn't fall withing your definition of distributed, we have vastly different dictionaries.

The point is, that the system connecting MLS, CDOL, and lds.org Directory is not working correctly and hasn't for several months. I have tried the data refresh procedure at least once a week since early August and still have people showing up on CDOL and in the lds.org directory that have been released since the first Sunday of August, and people who have been called since then that are not showing in CDOL or the lds.org directory, plus a significant number of duplicates showing in both. It appears to be completely random as to what gets updated and what doesn't, when something actually does get changed.

I have spent many hours on the phone trying, usually without success, to reach someone in Local Unit Support that can help resolve the issue. The few times I have actually made it through to a real person, as opposed to eternal hold, I have been promised that the issue would be escalated and someone would phone me withing a few days. No one has EVER attempted to phone me to discuss the issue. When I have tried to get some help through MLS messaging, all they do is tell me to phone in when I am sitting in front of the ward computer, which I have tried/done numerous times.

Simply put, the inaction on getting the issues resolved is inexcusable.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: How long after callings are changed in MLS do they appea

Post by jdlessley »

JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Re:

Post by jonesrk »

rpyne wrote:The point is, that the system connecting MLS, CDOL, and lds.org Directory is not working correctly and hasn't for several months. I have tried the data refresh procedure at least once a week since early August and still have people showing up on CDOL and in the lds.org directory that have been released since the first Sunday of August, and people who have been called since then that are not showing in CDOL or the lds.org directory, plus a significant number of duplicates showing in both. It appears to be completely random as to what gets updated and what doesn't, when something actually does get changed.
There have been a few problems that I know of during this time period.
1) Once CDOL released 3.1 to support MLS 3.5 in beta there were some issues we hadn't found in testing. The main 2 here were some new callings from MLS 3.4.3 would end up in the wrong groups in CDOL and refresh requests were incompatible between CDOL 3.1 and MLS 3.4.3.
2) The initial releases of MLS 3.5 beta had some bugs that corrupted some of the callings in CDOL.
3) The data cleanup efforts from #1 and #2 exposed/aggravated a bug in CDOL that under load caused CDOL to drop subsequent unrelated MLS data until the load went away.
4) Some server maintenance caused an issue with one weekend's processing. This bug started showing up at the same time as #3 which helped obfuscate #3 an extra week.
rpyne wrote:Simply put, the inaction on getting the issues resolved is inexcusable.
At this point (with today's release of the fix for #3) all of these are resolved. Many people's MLS data and CDOL data are likely out of sync so comparing the two and following the steps in Correcting duplicate or missing callings to bring them back in sync.

If that doesn't work or you are seeing errors after that, then I would like to know about them.

Thanks, for your patience with the bumps in these releases.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

Woo Hoo! After four months of fighting the problem, I finally have them all in sync, after doing exactly what everyone I talked to at Local Unit Support and several people here on the forums kept telling me NOT to do. I deleted all callings from MLS, several times, with refreshes in between. Once they all were cleared from MLS, CDOL, and the lds.org Directory, I put the callings all back in and everything is in sync.

The only remaining issue is that the Chorister shows as a standard position in MLS but as a custom position in CDOL.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rpyne wrote:Woo Hoo! After four months of fighting the problem, I finally have them all in sync, after doing exactly what everyone I talked to at Local Unit Support and several people here on the forums kept telling me NOT to do. I deleted all callings from MLS, several times, with refreshes in between. Once they all were cleared from MLS, CDOL, and the lds.org Directory, I put the callings all back in and everything is in sync.
However, if you read the post just above yours, it appears the problem may have been fixed. So hopefully it can be fixed without going though that drastic an action.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”