How long after callings are changed in MLS do they appear in lds.org

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

cspring wrote:I performed a Unit Refresh per the instructions on the Correcting Duplicate or missing callings wiki (https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Callings#Corr ... g_callings), however the callings on lds.org are still not updating. Everything worked correctly until the update to 3.5. MLS contains the correct information however the changes are not reflected on directory or the clerk section of lds.org.

Any other suggestions I can try to get MLS and the website in sync?
If you tried this today then you won't see the changes yet. See the MLS callings updates to lds.org temporarily not available thread for more details.
rpyne

Re:

Post by rpyne »

rontilby wrote:Ryan, With all due respect, for Callings, MLS is the only system that Clerks can currently directly control. The sync from MLS to CDOL has been broken in various ways since shortly before the MLS 3.5 rollout began. I've tried multiple times to get CDOL to correctly reflect the correct current callings in my ward, including the Correcting duplicate or missing callings procedures, and CDOL is still out of sync. (This includes an attempt with the MLS 3.5.1 release that was pushed down and installed last Sunday.) While CDOL may be the declared system of record for callings, local clerks currently are unable to make it correctly reflect reality.
I have been battling with these issues now since August. I have followed the procedure for Correcting duplicate or missing callings so many times I have lost count. I have phoned and emailed Local Unit Support almost as many times. They keep promising that they will escalate the issue and get back to me with a solution. It hasn't happened.

Quite frankly, I am seriously considering deleting all callings from MLS and buying a magnet board. At least that will work and stay consistent. Technology that malfunctions is worse than no technology.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Re:

Post by russellhltn »

rpyne wrote:Quite frankly, I am seriously considering deleting all callings from MLS and buying a magnet board. At least that will work and stay consistent. Technology that malfunctions is worse than no technology.
Except that a bunch of members will lose access to the web sites that are part of their calling. JonesRK seems to indicate that he may have fixed the problem and is trying to get it into production. We'll have to see what happens.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

russellhltn wrote:
rpyne wrote:Quite frankly, I am seriously considering deleting all callings from MLS and buying a magnet board. At least that will work and stay consistent. Technology that malfunctions is worse than no technology.
Except that a bunch of members will lose access to the web sites that are part of their calling. JonesRK seems to indicate that he may have fixed the problem and is trying to get it into production. We'll have to see what happens.
When the callings don't update properly, they don't have the access anyway.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: How long after callings are changed in MLS do they appea

Post by jonesrk »

We were not able to get the fix into production yesterday. I have turned off processing for the weekend, so that on Monday when we get the fix in we can run all the changes, so they don't get lost. The downsides are that you won't see changes you make this weekend until about Tuesday, and trying to request a refresh won't send it down until then either.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rpyne wrote:
russellhltn wrote:
When the callings don't update properly, they don't have the access anyway.
If you successfully delete everyone, then then those who are fine will lose their callings. And if you're not successful in deleting them on-line, then the web pages are still wrong and confusing.

I think your statement was a statement of frustration. But as a practical measure is not likely to be successful by any standard. In the short term I think you're better off printing out MLS and posting the list.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rpyne

Re:

Post by rpyne »

JonesRK wrote:1) Currently CDOL is defined as the system of record, so the only way to 'sync' the two systems is from CDOL down to MLS. If CDOL is not correct, then anytime a sync occurs you will lose what you have only in MLS. Part of the reason for this decision is to support Clerk Resources being able to edit callings. As that moves forward MLS can't be the authoritative source.
Herein lies the root of all the problems. In any distributed data system, the system of record must needs be the point of data entry. There simply is no other way to maintain data integrity. It is a simple fact of life that synchronizations fail and unless the system of record is the point of primary data entry, data will get corrupted.

If CDOL is going to remain the system of record, then calling updates made through MLS need to be transmitted directly to CDOL and not reflected in MLS until they are synced back from CDOL.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

rpyne wrote:In any distributed data system, the system of record must needs be the point of data entry.
What has transpired here is a change from a distributed data system, as far as callings are concerned, to a centralized data system.
rpyne wrote:If CDOL is going to remain the system of record, then calling updates made through MLS need to be transmitted directly to CDOL and not reflected in MLS until they are synced back from CDOL.
I understand why CDOL needs to bee the system of record. But I don't think not reflecting changes sent up to CDOL in local MLS until it is synced back from CDOL is a good user interface solution. This could confuse a local MLS user into thinking his change was not sent and result in multiple attempts to resend changes. I am thinking there needs to be some method of letting the local MLS user know that the change has been sent but not yet synchronized. That method of notification can involve a quite a bit of programming change to MLS.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

jdlessley wrote:
rpyne wrote:In any distributed data system, the system of record must needs be the point of data entry.
What has transpired here is a change from a distributed data system, as far as callings are concerned, to a centralized data system.
If it were a centralized data system, there would be no synchronization issue because all applications would retrieve the data from the central database every time it was viewed.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

rpyne wrote:
jdlessley wrote:
If it were a centralized data system, there would be no synchronization issue because all applications would retrieve the data from the central database every time it was viewed.
A centralized database is a database located and maintained in one location. There is no requirement for the data to be retrieved each time it is viewed. Centralization identifies the preeminant source of data. Data can be copied from the centralized database for viewing or manipulation. Copying data from a database for viewing and manipulation is necessary when there is no continuous connection with the centralized database. For callings, MLS maintains a copy of a subset of data stored in CDOL. Synchronization is necessary to update the copy of data on MLS with CDOL. MLS also is able to update the centralized database.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”