Stake Calling not able to see youth in other wards

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

Sorry about the incorrect information in the help file in this regard. Only directory administrators can view information about children in other wards. Stake YM/YW presidents cannot see this information. I updated the help topic to reflect this now. Directory admins include bishoprics/stake presidencies, executive secretaries, clerks (all types), and website administrators.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Just a note, this is a welcome relief. The amount of confidential information about minors that I've seen very casually distributed by Stake YM and YW Presidencies threw me into a pretty decent tizzy when I first became a Stake Clerk. A member of the stake who asked for a list of all Priests and Laurels in the stake for the purpose of recruiting them to the Stake Missionary Class (a very worthy request) was deeply offended when I told him no.

I have helped our Stake Presidency understand what the Church is saying by limiting the access. It means that the access should be limited. I realize it is a rather disappointing conclusion for some, but it is very good progress for those of us who don't think that our daughters mobile numbers, email addresses and birthdates are needed information by anyone other than her Bishopric or her parents (or those we allow specifically).

Also, because the data was collected by a trusted source (A parent agrees to provide data to a Ward Young Women's President) - that data isn't hers to share with anyone else. If the desire is to collect that data, the parents or individual should grant permission prior to data being shared. And so on... And so on... And so on.

We need to be vigilant about gathering lists like these, when doing so there needs to be specific wording about what the list is for, who will have access to the data, etc....

Of course, it would be pretty nice that along with making a programing change, that a Policy accompany that change. It is very difficult for a Stake President to take direction from Assumed information based on how a particular online application works. Regardless of what the help file or FAQ might say.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”