Stake Calling not able to see youth in other wards

Discussions about the Directory Tool on lds.org. Questions about the Directory on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
comptong
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:01 pm

Stake Calling not able to see youth in other wards

Postby comptong » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:03 pm

I am the Stake Y/M President on the MLS and I cannot see the Y/M in wards other than my own.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20762
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:14 pm

You may want to ask the stake clerk to verify that your calling is entered as a standard (not custom) calling.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

LisaAn
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 1:16 pm
Location: Riverton, Utah, USA

Postby LisaAn » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:25 am

This is by design. The Stake YM president is over the Ward YM presidencies. The logic is you would work with the presidencies and not directly with the youth.
QA Engineer

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20762
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:31 pm

LisaAn wrote:This is by design. The Stake YM president is over the Ward YM presidencies. The logic is you would work with the presidencies and not directly with the youth.


I'm curious about the verbiage in the directory help file: "a member without a stake calling won't see the children in a household outside of his or her ward. However, a member of the stake Primary presidency will see children in all wards and branches in the stake."

It raises the question of which stake callings do allow the member to see children. (And I'm curious as to how the Stake Primary President is different from the Stake YM President.)

Either way, I think the help file could use some tweaking.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

gyoungberg
New Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:26 pm

Postby gyoungberg » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:57 pm

I know this won't change anything, but I too have been frustrated by this. I'm the high council adviser to the Young Women. I've also served as the Stake Trek Committee chairman. In both of these assignments I would be much more effective if I could look up the name of youth that I'm working with in LDS Tools. I just don't have the memory that I once had, but often know the family they belong to. I understand privacy concerns, but this seems too strict.

mevans
Senior Member
Posts: 1282
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 12:52 pm
Location: California, USA

Postby mevans » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:59 pm

RussellHltn wrote:I'm curious about the verbiage in the directory help file: "a member without a stake calling won't see the children in a household outside of his or her ward. However, a member of the stake Primary presidency will see children in all wards and branches in the stake."


If the above is the case, then what does the privacy setting do? I can choose to make my children visible to leaders only, just the ward, or the whole stake. Do I take that to mean that there is no general stake visibility for children? If so, why does the option exist?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:08 pm

mevans wrote:Do I take that to mean that there is no general stake visibility for children? If so, why does the option exist?


One slight effect of the option is that when they turn 18 that visibility setting will become effective. But other than that, it does seem that only stake leaders (apparently defined as stake presidency, clerks, and executive secretary) outside the ward can see the children, and thus there is no difference between "ward" and "stake" visibility settings.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20762
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:11 pm

mevans wrote:If the above is the case, then what does the privacy setting do? I can choose to make my children visible to leaders only, just the ward, or the whole stake. Do I take that to mean that there is no general stake visibility for children? If so, why does the option exist?


I'm sure there are differences between "Leadership" and the other settings. It would block visibility to other members of the ward.

I don't know as there would be any difference between "Stake" and "Ward" until they turn 18.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

mevans
Senior Member
Posts: 1282
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 12:52 pm
Location: California, USA

Postby mevans » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:18 pm

RussellHltn wrote:I don't know as there would be any difference between "Stake" and "Ward" until they turn 18.


I'm assuming you mean until the a child reaches the age of majority based on where he or she lives? It's not 18 in all countries. I just googled and was surprised to realize that in the US it can differ by state.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:24 pm

mevans wrote:I'm assuming you mean until the a child reaches the age of majority based on where he or she lives? It's not 18 in all countries. I just googled and was surprised to realize that in the US it can differ by state.


Although you raise a good point, I don't know if that affects the way this is actually implemented. I really doubt that there is any difference in the US for different states.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.


Return to “Directory”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest