Printing/Viewing the Directory Listings

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
HansenDA

Printing/Viewing the Directory Listings

Post by HansenDA »

Would like to have the "preferred name" on the MLS membership record to be reflected as name used when printing the ward directory. As it is now the directory uses the "full name". Is there some way to display/print the "head of household" (preferred name) instead of the "family name" (full name) when printing the ward directory? :confused: Maybe modify the program to do this....
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

hansenda wrote:Would like to have the "preferred name" on the MLS membership record to be reflected as name used when printing the ward directory. As it is now the directory uses the "full name".
In my testing, the preferred name does indeed appear when you use the Print function for the Directory on LDS.org.

There was a rather long thread (Official name vs Preferred name) that seemed to conclude that in some regions the Directory defaults to using the full name, while in other regions (the US, for example) the preferred name is used. I am in the US and I see the preferred name, but I can't speak for other regions.
hansenda wrote:Is there some way to display/print the "head of household" (preferred name) instead of the "family name" (full name) when printing the ward directory? :confused:
I find the terminology you're using here to be confusing. You seem to equate "head of household" with "preferred name", and "family name" with "full name", when I don't see those terms as being at all equivalent.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
HansenDA

Post by HansenDA »

On line 195 of the download of our LDS.org ward directory, the header for the married name is labeled the "Family Name"... the header for the head of household is the "preferred name". I know this because, in MLS, I changed the preferred married name to the madden name.... and when I view this sisters name in the LDS.org directory her married name is listed as the "Family Name" and the "preferred name" is listed as her madden name. This is your terminology, not mine. BTW, the display/print function of the directory in my region, which is the US, does not use the "preferred name".... but that is exactly what I would like to see happen! Anyway, I was able to get someone on the support line that was able to help.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”