problem with email address on household profile

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
GlendeSG

problem with email address on household profile

Post by GlendeSG »

It appears that the household information has taken one step backwards. We had two email addresses showing on the household page -- one for me, and one for my wife. I needed to update one of the addresses. When I did, it would no longer accept two addresses. It kept giving a message, "must be of the form xxxx@xxx.com." Before we had two addresses separated by a semicolon. Is there something I just can't figure out, or has the system functionality truly been downgraded?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I didn't know that could be done. Is that how it was entered originally, or was it entered through MLS?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Note that the value entered in the email address field is actually used as an email address by more and more systems for sending automated email messages. So it is important that the data that is in that field contains a valid email address.

Years ago when an email address could first be attached to a membership record, it was simply an informational item and so it wasn't important for the system to verify that it was an actual email address; back then it didn't matter what format was used for entering the information. But now that it is actually used for sending email, it's good that the address is validated.

Also, when the email address was first added to records, it was only a household address, so I can see why you might have wanted to include both the husband's and wife's email address. But now you can specify individual email addresses. So you should make sure that your individual email address and your wife's individual email address are correct. Then for the household email address select whichever one of you wants to receive household email messages.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”