Cannot edit My Household

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
Moshda

Cannot edit My Household

Post by Moshda »

I recently turned 19 and I'll be heading to college next week so I thought I should update my contact information in the directory. However, there is no "edit" button which would allow me to update the My Household profile information. (And I am logged in.)

On LDSAccount.lds.org, I have the button checked to display my email in the ward directory, but it doesn't show up. I also cannot add a photo of myself because there is no "edit" button.

Could this be because I'm listed under my parents in the "other household members" section? Is there some setting on my parents' accounts which needs to be changed in order for me to update my own information? All the wikis and "help" pages I've found say that as long as you're 18 you are able to make changes to the household information.
I'm very confused.....
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

moshda wrote:Could this be because I'm listed under my parents in the "other household members" section? Is there some setting on my parents' accounts which needs to be changed in order for me to update my own information? All the wikis and "help" pages I've found say that as long as you're 18 you are able to make changes to the household information.
I'm very confused.....

Only the heads of household can edit the household; it doesn't matter how old "other" household members are. So for you to update your profile information, you need to become your own head of household. When you get moved to a new ward as you go to college, you will automatically become head of household, and you'll be able to update your information. Until then, you would have to ask your parents or your ward clerk to make the edits for you. Or you could ask your ward clerk to make you your own household, separate from your parents, but that seems rather pointless if you're moving next week anyway.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

moshda wrote:Could this be because I'm listed under my parents in the "other household members" section?
That seems the most likely explanation. Note that as long as you are part of your parent's household, you can't edit the household itself. At best you'd be able to control the visibility of your email, individual telephone number and add a photo.

Only your ward membership clerk can ungroup you from the household. However, I think the contact information frequently gets lost in any move, so you may want to wait until your records are moved to your student ward before you update them. And only the clerk of your existing ward or the new ward can do that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:Only the heads of household can edit the household; it doesn't matter how old "other" household members are. So for you to update your profile information, you need to become your own head of household.
Seems that the help file needs to be updated.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Seems that the help file needs to be updated.
It could be clarified a bit, but it doesn't seem wrong to me. The term "your overall household" seems to apply only to a head of household. The restriction on being 18 and older simply says that if you are a head of household and under 18, you can't edit your household.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Moshda

Post by Moshda »

aebrown wrote:When you get moved to a new ward as you go to college, you will automatically become head of household, and you'll be able to update your information.

Thanks so much to everyone for answering my question! I'm glad to hear it's a relatively simple fix. I'll just let the ward clerk of my YSA ward know that I am there and request my records be moved to that ward. :) From what my current bishop said, I don't need to do anything other than that - very nice to know, since I'll have plenty of stress just getting there!

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”