Before uploading photos of individuals and families, please verify the following:
• The member has the right to display the photo. Verify no copyright infringement, especially regarding professional studio photographs.
• The photo does not display trademarks or the intellectual property of others. The photo should not appear to promote products or services nor should it display registered marks.
• All individuals in the photo have given their consent to its posting. If an individual is a minor, the minor's parent or legal guardian must grant consent.
• The photo complies with Church standards. The photo does not express opinions, make political statements and is in compliance with Church standards including modesty and honesty.
• The photo should accurately depict the individual. The photo should not be modified to alter the individual's appearance, should not impersonate others, be a caricature, and so forth.
we had a member flash a backwards peace sign (palm facing in with the fingers to the side), which in other countries is looked at as offensive, or like flipping the bird in america. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_sign
Is there anything in the church handbooks, online, or otherwise that would prevent someone from using this as their photo in the ward directory?
Am i being too cautious? I've asked my Bishop for approval but I'd like to hear if anyone else has faced this question as well.