Wrong Surnames showing up for two people

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
familygenealogy

Wrong Surnames showing up for two people

Post by familygenealogy »

When I create the Northridge YSA Branch directory, I get Amanda Homack showing up as Amanda George ... and I get Dillon Robertson showing up as Dillon Larsen.

I did a membership data reset on MLS as was suggested, but the problem still exists. Everything I see on MLS appears correct, but somehow these surnames are magically appearing on the lds.org directory for our YSA branch in the Denver Colorado North Stake.

We don't have anyone with the last name of George, and when we create the directory, Amanda Homack shows up under the surname of George. Dillon Robertson shows up under the surname of Larsen (making it appear that his middle name is Robertson) .... and of course their names end up being misplaced in the alphabetical directory.

Any support to fix this problem is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! ... Brother Benner

P.S. If anyone wants to actually see the problemed directory (w/o phone# and addresses), I can create it and email it. Ask via an email to: gerry_benner@yahoo.com (note that there is an underscore between my first and last name).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd check MLS again. Check that the Preferred name and the Full name is correct. Also check to make sure you haven't placed those members into a household. If you placed Homack into the George household, then that would be expected behavior.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
familygenealogy

SOLVED!! Thanks Russell .... I had done the MLS refresh data, but had only looked at the names to ensure MLS was right. This time I scanned each field and found where someone had entered a family name of George (for Amanda) and a family name of Larsen (for Dillon). Parents names are not this, so not sure where this came from. These records were recently received so I'm assuming they came in with this error. It's the first time I've seen it. But actually I don't know if I would have ever discovered it if I wasn't doing a photo directory from lds.org (which evidently uses the family name field to populate the surname index). Thanks for your help!! ... Gerry
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

familygenealogy wrote:This time I scanned each field and found where someone had entered a family name of George (for Amanda) and a family name of Larsen (for Dillon). Parents names are not this, so not sure where this came from.
Interesting. Glad you got it fixed, but I also wonder where it came from. Being in a YSA Ward, I would have guessed that someone tried to combine people living in a single address into a "household" - perhaps to reduce the number of households being HT.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
familygenealogy

Yes ... that could be .... I've have to ask Amanda and Dillon to see if those "household" names make any sense to them. And a correction: it was the "household" field (second one down in the individual records) that had the misinformation in MLS. Now to solve the photo directory PDF creation problem that I'm having - when doing it from the clerk's office (but easy enough to do it from home).

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”