Print Ward Leaders doesn't do what I would expect

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
mevans

Print Ward Leaders doesn't do what I would expect

Post by mevans »

I choose Directory > Ward Leaders > Sunday School. On the right I see a nice list of everyone with Sunday School callings. I want to print this for reference, so I hit print.

I expected to see a list of the Sunday School organization. Instead I got a list of what appeared to be presidencies of each ward organization.

First of all, I didn't expect a list of presidencies.
Next, if the real purpose is just to print an overall presidency list instead of a list of people serving in the organization, it doesn't do that correctly, either. For example, Sunday School doesn't have a secretary. Instead of just showing who was in the presidency it printed 4 people, apparently randomly choosing to show a Gospel Doctrine teacher where the secretary would go if one existed.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mevans wrote:First of all, I didn't expect a list of presidencies.
I agree that the Print button's expected output is not intuitive. Even the Printing and exporting (Directory) section of the directory Help does not provide any clarification on what portions of the directory are printable. But from testing it becomes apparent that only the item selected in the left column and not what is selected in the middle "Filter Results" column or what is displayed in the right column determines what is printed or even if the Print button is functional. Fortunately a print preview with print options is presented before any paper output is made and thus avoiding wasted paper.

Perhaps the location of the Print button adds to the confusion as to what is going to be printed. Since it is located above the right column, a user expects what is displayed in that far right column is going to be printed. In visualizing alternate locations for the Print button I found issues with every possible option I could come up with. The biggest negative was just finding the Print button. The current location makes finding it the easiest to me.

A Print button mouse over help text with changing content set relational to the first column selection would improve understanding of the expected print output.
mevans wrote:Next, if the real purpose is just to print an overall presidency list instead of a list of people serving in the organization, it doesn't do that correctly, either. For example, Sunday School doesn't have a secretary. Instead of just showing who was in the presidency it printed 4 people, apparently randomly choosing to show a Gospel Doctrine teacher where the secretary would go if one existed.
In your example of Sunday School leaders, the results I got was the last alphabetical surname Sunday School Teacher listed three times. In our ward's current Sunday School organization there is a president, four Sunday School Teachers, one Meetinghouse Librarian, and one Assistant Librarian. Having the president and the one instructor listed three times appears to be a bug.

The callings listed for Sunday School is not the only organizational leadership listing with which I have noticed irregularity. The bishopric lists the bishop, counselors, executive secretary, and clerk. All the assistant clerks are listed in "Other Callings". There may have been a conscious decision to list only the clerk and executive secretary in the bishopric organization for overall uniform formatting. But I find it odd to list assistant clerks in "Other Callings" for the printed version when the directory displayed on the browser lists them in the bishopric organization. Perhaps a section titled "Clerks" would be a better choice. This way all the clerks would be listed in one place and reduce the bishopric to four positions as found in all the other organizations listed.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”