Suggestion: Show Home Ward in Stake Information -- Search Stake Membership

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
veehb

Post by veehb »

Thank you. I have posted my suggestion there. I'd like to see the unit name appear in the LDS.org Directory simalarly as it does on the LDSTools app. From now on I'll be using the member search function under Leadership and Clerk functions.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

JohnShaw wrote:When you use leader.lds.org member lookup and search for the name, clicking on the name gets you the phone number and unit. That might work with about the same amount of steps. When working online, and while I have access, I prefer that site as my 'dashboard'

If I try 'member lookup', it only finds people in my ward. Is there a way to do a stake search? It sounds like that's what you're doing.

In the screen shot below, I typed 'smith' and it's only showing 3 people (all in my ward - first names blurred) instead of the 20 or so in the stake.
smith.jpg
smith.jpg (43.71 KiB) Viewed 1299 times
veehb

Post by veehb »

It could be that your privileges are restricted because you have a ward calling (your profile says you are a ward clerk) and not a stake calling. I'm guessing here and need to test my theory. I am a stake executive secretary and maybe that lets me do member searches throughout the stake. My wife is a ward relief society president. I'll test this theory by having her log on and try to find someone in another ward.

I just found that when in Directory and doing a Stake Information search it will return the household information for the person being searched. If you select the option to "Show on Map" it brings up a map showing their home. Further select "Display on Ward Map" and it brings up another map with ward boundaries and a window with the name of the ward and directory listing for that ward. So, this does work. But it seems like a simple thing for the developers to add the unit name to the household information, like is done on the LDSTools app.
veehb

Post by veehb »

It could be that your privileges are restricted because you have a ward calling (your profile says you are a ward clerk) and not a stake calling. I'm guessing here and need to test my theory. I am a stake executive secretary and maybe that lets me do member searches throughout the stake. My wife is a ward relief society president. I'll test this theory by having her log on and try to find someone in another ward.

I just found that when in Directory and doing a Stake Information search it will return the household information for the person being searched. If you select the option to "Show on Map" it brings up a map showing their home. Further select "Display on Ward Map" and it brings up another map with ward boundaries and a window with the name of the ward and directory listing for that ward. So, this does work. But it seems like a simple thing for the developers to add the unit name to the household information, like is done on the LDSTools app.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

veehb wrote:It could be that your privileges are restricted because you have a ward calling (your profile says you are a ward clerk) and not a stake calling.
Yeah, that's probably it.
veehb wrote:I just found that when in Directory and doing a Stake Information search it will return the household information for the person being searched. If you select the option to "Show on Map" it brings up a map showing their home. Further select "Display on Ward Map" and it brings up another map with ward boundaries and a window with the name of the ward and directory listing for that ward. So, this does work. But it seems like a simple thing for the developers to add the unit name to the household information, like is done on the LDSTools app.

I've been doing that for a while but just now got tired of it enough to finally search the forum to see if anyone else had posted about it.

I also submitted feedback via lds.org. The more feedback they get about a requested feature, hopefully the more likely it'll be considered.

The old stake website used to return the ward of the individual so it's a feature that's been lost with the transition to the new websites.
lisaan
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by lisaan »

Thank you for the suggestion. I have added it to our list of proposed features for future releases of Directory. If you would like to participate in testing the next version of Directory before it's release keep an eye on the "Beta Directory" forum where we'll post notices about when it's available. It's good way to add your input about features and functionality to the process of creating and maintaining Directory before we release the final version. Thanks again.
QA Engineer
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

Thanks for the idea. I just subscribed to the beta directory forum. Just to make sure I'm at the right place, there are no posts on that forum yet, right?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

sasgrw wrote:Just to make sure I'm at the right place, there are no posts on that forum yet, right?
That is correct.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Just wanted to add my wish for this feature as well. Along with the calling.

Where is the member lookup in the leader tools?
Craig
South Jordan, UT
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

craiggsmith wrote:Where is the member lookup in the leader tools?
Both Leader and Clerk Resources and LDSTools have been thrown about in this thread. So I am guessing you are referring to the Leader Resources link on LDS.org. Both the Leader Resources and Clerk Resources page have a menu item "Membership". A sub-item is "Member List". Only those with stake callings will be able to look up members within the stake. Ward leaders are restricted to ward members.

If you are referring to LDSTools then someone else will have to give you that information since I do not use it.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”