Screen Shots for Picture Upload

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

johnsonth wrote:Thanks Alan. I appreciate your eye for detail. Individual photos in the Ward Organizations and Photos sections display at 200x150. In the Household display section, it seems the default is 120x90, which is the same ratio as 200x150.

Thanks for catching that. I used the household picture size, not the individual size. But to be precise, it's 120x100 for individual photos in the profile display.

I've corrected my earlier post.
johnsonth wrote:However, the Leadership section displays at 40x40. So it seems my statement about the photos being cropped to the square is right only for the Leadership section. I think it might be best to upload a photo at 200x150px.

I still think it's best to upload individual photos as squares. The reason I say that is that the algorithm for creating the square thumbnails takes the leftmost or topmost square from a rectangular image. In our ward, we have some rectangular individual photos where the person's face happens to be to the right of center, and the cropping algorithm for the leadership thumbnails leaves only a tiny fraction of their face visible. For some others, the photo is rather tall, and the crop leaves the face from the nose up. Uploading square individual photos eliminates these possibilities.
johnsonth wrote:The image resizer never enlarges an image, so if you upload a photo that is 30x30px in size, that's how big it displays everywhere. But if you upload an image that is 1000x700, the image resizer will resize it down to the maximum dimensions, which are 500x375.

Actually, a 1000x700 would resize to 500x350 (it maintains its aspect ratio), but otherwise that statement is correct.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”