Family with multiple last names

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Non-member spouses - last name in wrong place?

Post by aebrown »

atom88 wrote:I am also seeing that when a wife who's legal last name is "Jones" and who's current legal husband that has a last name of "Smith" (but who's not a member) the wife will show up in the online directory under "Smith" since the head of household is the non-member spouse, even though her current legal last name is "Jones"? Is there any way to fix this bug?
[Moderator note: I moved this post from its original topic to this topic, which deals with a similar issue. Please follow the Code of Conduct and keep a particular topic focused on one issue.]
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Family with multiple last names

Post by russellhltn »

Check the MLS field "preferred name". Beyond that, there is no fix within the abilities of the ward.

Maybe someday the church will fix that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Re: Family with multiple last names

Post by mevans »

We have the same situation with some people in my ward. However, I never noticed until now that I could not search the directory by the wife's last name. I tried it and it doesn't work. aebrown explained it well.

I'm surprised that the church system doesn't handle this better, as there are many countries where it is not common for the wife's name to change at marriage. Furthermore, children may have a different last name than either parent. Wikipedia has a good article on the customs in many countries.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”