nonmember head of household shows up weird in online directory

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

I also sent a PM.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

Thanks to all those who sent me unit numbers. The bug has been fixed and is expected to be deployed to prod some time next week.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

This fix is now deployed, so these households should be showing up correctly. Let me know if you notice any other problems.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Indeed, for the one ward in our stake that had the problem, the household names are now sorted and listed correctly.

Thanks for the fix and the clear communication!
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

That fixed ours also.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

Looks good for mine too. Thanks for fixing it.
jhowell2000

Post by jhowell2000 »

The alphabetized list appears to be correct on our ward names. However, there is still a minor problem. I think it needs to be fixed with data in our ward clerks office not necessarily a bug with the directory. We have a couple of names when you click on the name listing the family to display the info (both cases are part member families with the husband being the non-member) the display then shows the household names as being the members last name not the alphabetized head of household name.

Example: under J the name Johnson is clicked and the display then shows the maiden name of wife in bold at the top (which begins with G). Her name is listed below with the last name Johnson; the name displayed at the top of the record is not found in the details, I know her maiden name is the name listed as the family name on top of record.

The other example is similar. The listing is alphabetized under T (husband's last name) but when record is clicked the display shows the wife's name as the family name in bold (her maiden name begins with A), but in this case the wife's maiden name is listed as her last name with husband having his last name as the one beginning with T.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jhowell2000 wrote:The alphabetized list appears to be correct on our ward names. However, there is still a minor problem. I think it needs to be fixed with data in our ward clerks office not necessarily a bug with the directory.

I think you're right about that. Note that MLS stores a value for the Household name, which is separate from the names for individuals. The household name will typically match the last name of the husband or the wife, but it is not enforced by MLS. So if you go into MLS and examine the Household Record for these families, I think you'll be able to see what's going on and resolve any inconsistencies.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The situation in our ward is the second scenario. The sister is the member and the husband is a non-member. The sister's last name is Mxxxxxx. The husbands last name is Pxxxxxx. The household created in MLS only includes the sister and she is the head of household. The sister's last name appears in the LDS.ORG directory household details section as the household last name, just as it is in MLS. The husband is not listed in MLS as a member of the household. However the household is listed in the "Filter Results" section in the husband's last name. He is also listed in the LDS.ORG directory as the head of household. This situation is the one where the marriage record in CMIS is used to create the LDS.ORG directory household rather than the household as created in MLS.

It appears that for this situation there is convergence of information from both CMIS and MLS that creates a confusing listing in the directory and in the household details of the directory. Anyone not familiar with the sister's situation will be really confused when using the directory and most likely will not even be able to find her.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
geowizrd4zion

Post by geowizrd4zion »

i have a situation where the wife shows up in the directory under the surname of her former non-member husband, EVEN THOUGH

1- the marriage was terminated properly in MLS
2- the non-member husband's temporary record has been removed, and
3- the wife has only her maiden name in "full name", "maiden name", and "preferred name" and is listed as the head of household in MLS.

when i turned to local unit support to correct it (since there is nothing else i can do about it), i received a response that "lds.org is a self sustaining web site and there is no real updates that can be done manual by us", and they went on to suggest that i do a local unit refresh and maybe that would fix it after a day or two. am i missing something here? my understanding of a local unit refresh was that data comes down from slc to my local MLS, not the other way around, so i don't see how that would change anything in the online directory when everything was already correct in MLS. any other ideas?

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”