Who can see "private" profiles?

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

davesudweeks wrote: I think we need to do a better job educating our members of what the "opt-out" option means and perhaps adjust the codes so someone can, for example, opt-out of e-mails without hiding their entire profile.
I think these two ideas, together, will solve the problems....better understanding and some privacy "improvements" in the tools.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

davesudweeks wrote:I think we need to ... perhaps adjust the codes so someone can, for example, opt-out of e-mails without hiding their entire profile.

Just to be clear, users have that particular option right now. The household e-mail address and each individual e-mail address all have a checkbox by them that allows them to opt out of e-mails without hiding the entire household profile. I have seen some understandable confusion caused by the fact that these checkboxes are labeled "Show in ward directory" when they actually have a much broader effect -- they will prevent e-mail messages from being sent in a variety of contexts (but will still allow leaders to send e-mails to them).

But the functionality to individually disable each of these e-mails does indeed exist. That's true unless you mean by "opt-out of e-mails" that no one, not even leaders, could send them e-mail messages. But if that's their intent, they can just choose not to enter an e-mail address at all -- after all, there's not much point in entering an e-mail address in your profile if you don't want anyone to see it or to use it.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”