Can't make profile public again

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
craftyleo

Can't make profile public again

Post by craftyleo »

I have a problem if anyone can help? I unchecked the tick box in public/private which made it private then saved. When I realised I couldnt access the full directory I changed it back and saved changes, but its been nearly 4days and my directory access still hasnt been updated. Do I contact my ward clerk or is there somewhere on the site I can write to?
Thanks
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

craftyleo wrote:I have a problem if anyone can help? I unchecked the tick box in public/private which made it private then saved. When I realised I couldnt access the full directory I changed it back and saved changes, but its been nearly 4days and my directory access still hasnt been updated. Do I contact my ward clerk or is there somewhere on the site I can write to?

The public/private setting doesn't affect whether you can "access the full directory"; your access is not affected by whether or not your profile is public. What that setting controls is whether other members of your stake can see you on the Directory.

First, I would recommend that you go to the Directory, then My Household, and Edit Profile and make sure that indeed the checkbox at the top that controls the public/private setting is checked. If it is not, then your problem is explained -- just check the box and save changes.

If it is checked, but no one can else can see your profile, then yes, I think contacting your ward clerk is a good next step. He has access to support resources that can help solve the problem. You could use the Submit Feedback mechanism on lds.org, but that can be rather slow, so I think you're better off working with your ward clerk.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Is this problem only on one computer? Have you checked on a different computer/browser etc.? If its only on the one computer, it might be worth clearing the browser history cache.
craftyleo

Post by craftyleo »

Thank you have tried but still no directory, our clerk is new I hope he can help. Would there be any other reason we cant view the directory perhaps?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

First, what are you expecting to see? By policy, the system doesn't show you everything like the old Classic system used to.

Secondly, what country are you in? Some countries, such as the UK, have privacy laws such that members must "opt-in" for you to see them. Others, like the USA, is "opt-out". As a result, most members in the UK see far less of their ward then if they were in the US.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craftyleo

Post by craftyleo »

In our directory I had access to all in our stake meaning I could view all, but now it only shows me a select few from my ward and the stake. I am from new zealand and it was working fine a month ago. Others from our ward are having the same problem. I've tried explorer and mozilla, and used another computer, I only get three households show up, thank you I appreciate all replys.

[IMG]https://tech.lds.org/forum/image/png;ba ... VORK5CYII=[/IMG]
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That suggests one of two things: you used to have a calling that allowed you to see all, or NZ switched from opt-out to opt-in. Either way, I think you're stuck with it.

If you still have that privileged calling, then there may be something you can do.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craftyleo

Post by craftyleo »

Looking at other forum questions and solutions online regarding this problems that other wards have experienced glad to see we are not alone. One suggestion given is to check with our ward clerk to see if he changed the privacy setting making all households private. Unfortunately its affected everyone including the bishopric.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

craftyleo wrote:Looking at other forum questions and solutions online regarding this problems that other wards have experienced glad to see we are not alone. One suggestion given is to check with our ward clerk to see if he changed the privacy setting making all households private. Unfortunately its affected everyone including the bishopric.
That really sounds like New Zealand has been switched to opt-out being the default. That decision would be made at a higher level than the ward. If that is the case the only way for members of the ward (I believe this includes the bishopric) is for households to explicitly opt-in.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

JonesRK wrote:That really sounds like New Zealand has been switched to opt-out being the default. That decision would be made at a higher level than the ward. If that is the case the only way for members of the ward (I believe this includes the bishopric) is for households to explicitly opt-in.

The Official Communications Library shows that the church sent out an official privacy statement to New Zealand units on Dec. 6th. It doesn't mention a change in the default opt-in status but the church obviously reviewed (and likely updated) the privacy policies there. It seems quite possible that they may have changed the default opt-in policy at the same time.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”