Directory version 1.7 released!

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
clintonkopotic

Post by clintonkopotic »

The updates are great! There are a lot of good ideas in this thread as well.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

aebrown wrote:
mfmohlma wrote:I'm beginning to agree as well. I just realized the same problem will occur for the Aaronic Priesthood quorums (young men not ordained) and for the timing of Young Women entering Relief Society. It's a great feature, but if it doesn't reflect how we're really organized, it's not very useful.
Although there are clearly some imperfections, I would certainly not say that "it's not very useful"; it gives you a great start, and you can always adjust the distribution list in your mail client for those exceptions before you hit Send.

I'd certainly like to see the organization lists synchronized with CHQ, but that sounds like a very significant development undertaking, so I hope no one would think of removing this useful feature in the meantime, just because it's not yet perfect.
I knew I wasn't going crazy when I thought I'd seen this somewhere... When viewing the High Priests group through the Leader Portal using this link (sorry, only useful for leaders), the assigned members are as I have put them in MLS, with many Prospective Elders assigned to the group. The other organizations are also congruent with MLS.

So it does appear that some database at CHQ has the info the directory needs to be correct. Hopefully there is a way for the directory application to access the database used for the leader application to show a consistent view of organizations. This is important for many reasons, including the priesthood quorums I mentioned as well as Relief Society and Primary (split classes, etc.).

Should I file a feedback or are the developers watching here?
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

mfmohlma wrote:I knew I wasn't going crazy when I thought I'd seen this somewhere... When viewing the High Priests group through the Leader Portal using this link (sorry, only useful for leaders), the assigned members are as I have put them in MLS, with many Prospective Elders assigned to the group. The other organizations are also congruent with MLS.

I don't have access to that app, but I spoke with the developers. The source for their org list uses slightly different rules when constructing the lists, but he confirmed that they do not have any access to any custom organization assignments in MLS. There are future plans to move this information online, but it does not exist now.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdcr256 wrote:I don't have access to that app, but I spoke with the developers. The source for their org list uses slightly different rules when constructing the lists, but he confirmed that they do not have any access to any custom organization assignments in MLS. There are future plans to move this information online, but it does not exist now.

I'm sure a good way to verify this is to compare the YW/RS lists. Unless the system looks at what month the sister was born, it's not likely to accurately predict when she graduates high school and moves from YW to RS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

jdcr256 wrote:I don't have access to that app, but I spoke with the developers. The source for their org list uses slightly different rules when constructing the lists, but he confirmed that they do not have any access to any custom organization assignments in MLS. There are future plans to move this information online, but it does not exist now.

I guess I am going crazy... :( Sorry, you are right. I saw the prospective elders in the High Priest list and drew my own conclusions from there. Thanks for checking. I guess the best we can ask for at this point is that the prospective elders show up in one of the two priesthood lists (and hope that the org structures can be uploaded sometime soon).
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I found another problem today when I decided to use the Directory to send a note to the bishopric instead of the Clerk Resources. The email addresses appear in the "To" box separated with a semi colon. I had to change this to the usual comma before the email could be sent.... Anyone have a solution to this?

Zane
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:I found another problem today when I decided to use the Directory to send a note to the bishopric instead of the Clerk Resources. The email addresses appear in the "To" box separated with a semi colon. I had to change this to the usual comma before the email could be sent.... Anyone have a solution to this?

You also reported this about a year ago in the thread Problem sending email to leaders in new directory. That thread contains discussion and possible solutions. I don't think there's been any change since then.

But with the release of Directory 1.7, this issue will affect far more people, since they now can send to many more groups. It would be nice if the Directory were more standards-compliant in this regard instead of favoring Outlook.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

aebrown wrote:You also reported this about a year ago in the thread Problem sending email to leaders in new directory. That thread contains discussion and possible solutions. I don't think there's been any change since then.
I thought the problem sounded familiar! As a longtime member of the "senior" class, I find I repeat a lot of things. :)
pierce1of5

Post by pierce1of5 »

No missionaries serving in your unit: We've never had missionaries listed as serving in our ward although other units have both names and pictures up. It sounds like the local mission president has someone update the units where missionaries are serving when transfers happen. The elders serving in our ward won't know if the missionaries serving in the ward are up to date because they don't have access to the ward website. I'll just tell the missionaries (serving in our ward) to go up their chain of command to get this issue fixed.
wertdl
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by wertdl »

pierce1of5 wrote:No missionaries serving in your unit: We've never had missionaries listed as serving in our ward although other units have both names and pictures up. It sounds like the local mission president has someone update the units where missionaries are serving when transfers happen. The elders serving in our ward won't know if the missionaries serving in the ward are up to date because they don't have access to the ward website. I'll just tell the missionaries (serving in our ward) to go up their chain of command to get this issue fixed.

Yes - the mission office has to correct this. See my reply in this thread: https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.p ... -your-ward.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”