Can't assign new photos

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
mevans

Re: Can't assign new photos

Post by mevans »

I received a response from LDS Feedback telling me that they are still working on the problem. They said a high speed internet connection would probably help, but I have a pretty fast connection (60Mbps down/8 Mbps up).
Hilohi

Post by Hilohi »

Thanks for that information, mevans. I hope this problem gets resolved pretty quickly.

On another note, a few weeks ago I tried to assign a family photo. As was expected, nothing happened. At least not apparently or initially. A couple of weeks after that, I happened to view this family's profile, and to my surprise the photo that I tried to assign to them had actually been assigned to them as their family photo. Stranger still, their individual photo (which was previously blank) was a photo of just their face that was cropped from the aforementioned family photo. What makes this strange is I didn't upload [cropped] individual photos, much less try to assign individual photos. Does anyone know how this happened?
mevans

Post by mevans »

Hilohi wrote:Thanks for that information, mevans. I hope this problem gets resolved pretty quickly.

On another note, a few weeks ago I tried to assign a family photo. As was expected, nothing happened. At least not apparently or initially. A couple of weeks after that, I happened to view this family's profile, and to my surprise the photo that I tried to assign to them had actually been assigned to them as their family photo. Stranger still, their individual photo (which was previously blank) was a photo of just their face that was cropped from the aforementioned family photo. What makes this strange is I didn't upload [cropped] individual photos, much less try to assign individual photos. Does anyone know how this happened?
Someone else in your unit must have approved the photos. It's possible that the family uploaded photos and someone else approved them. That works. It's assignment that's having the problem.
Hilohi

Post by Hilohi »

mevans wrote:
Hilohi wrote:Thanks for that information, mevans. I hope this problem gets resolved pretty quickly.

Someone else in your unit must have approved the photos. It's possible that the family uploaded photos and someone else approved them. That works. It's assignment that's having the problem.
That's possible, but highly unlikely. As the ward clerk, I'm pretty much the only person that approves photos for our ward. Also, I was the person who took the photo in this case and no one else has a copy of it.

I'm aware that uploading photos works and that assigning photos is the problem. In this case, however, the photo was actually assigned despite this problem with assigning photos. Stranger still, as I mentioned, was that individual photos were cropped from the family photo and assigned to the individuals even though I didn't upload nor [try to] assign individual photos.

There are two things that I think could have happened. (1) The directory photo functionality now has face recognition capabilities and will automatically crop individual photos from the family photo. I highly doubt this, though. As advanced as technology is, even if it could recognize individual faces, how would it know to whom to assign each individual photo? (2) Someone (I'm assuming from Church HQ), accessed our directory (in light of my initial post regarding this problem) and assigned the family photo, cropped the individual photos from the family photo, and assigned those individual photos for me.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Hilohi wrote:That's possible, but highly unlikely. As the ward clerk, I'm pretty much the only person that approves photos for our ward.
Depending on where you're looking, you may see unapproved photos. So, a third possibility is that someone has cropped the face out of the family photo and uploaded it and still awaiting approval.

I highly doubt any automation or anyone at CHQ doing anything.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Anzhansen

Post by Anzhansen »

I am not able to assign names to photos. i have tried Safari, Firefox and Chrome. I have tried on several different days. i get "there were problems saving" anytime i try to assign a name to a photo.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Anzhansen wrote:I am not able to assign names to photos. i have tried Safari, Firefox and Chrome. I have tried on several different days. i get "there were problems saving" anytime i try to assign a name to a photo.
This is a known issue that is being worked on. Some workarounds have been discussed in this thread.
nedparsons

Post by nedparsons »

I'm also having trouble doing this, both on a Mac and PC. I can get the photo to upload to the system, but not to assign it to anyone.
Hilohi

Post by Hilohi »

Any word on a fix for this problem? This post was started four months ago and this problem has still not been resolved. Furthermore, the contact person for this problem has been unresponsive. Pretty frustrating.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I haven't heard. I do know that the already small team got one smaller. Depending on who you tried to contact, that would explain the non-response.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”