Building reservation calendar will double book

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

goodog wrote:This tells me that I started out with the correct understanding of terms and calendars. The whole problem is every time I reserve or block the stake park ( I am the scheduler) on the reservation calendar I would get a double booking (two activitys at the same time and the same place). One would be the blocked location and the other would be a ward activity both occuring on the same day same time and for the whole location. The block was to keep the wards from booking the park until the stake activitys could be booked. This is why the whole time I keep saying the reservation calendar does not work correctly. The same problem is happing with our stake house.
No, that is not correct. The only booking is done by creating an event. That is the only way to make sure the resource is truly set aside for the use by that event. A reservation does not have the effect of booking a resource.

If you are a building scheduler, then you have the power to create an event that truly books a resource, even when that event overrides a reservation. That is not double booking. If you are a building scheduler, you also have the power to create a reservation for a resource, even if there are one or more events that conflict with that reservation. That is also not double booking.

If a reservation exists for Ward A for a location at a specific date/time, and a calendar editor from Ward A creates an event for that location at that date/time, then that is not double booking -- that is the correct behavior of the reservation feature. If, on the other hand, an editor from Ward B were able to create an event for that location at that date/time, then that could indeed be called double booking -- but I have seen no evidence that this can happen.

If a Blocked reservation exists for a location at a specific date/time, and a calendar editor (who is not also a building scheduler) from any ward or the stake is able to create an event for that location at that date/time, then that could indeed be called double booking -- but I have seen no evidence that this can happen.

I have seen nothing in your posts that gives any indication that the reservation calendar does not work correctly, unless you think that what I said in the previous paragraphs is an indication of incorrect behavior. If that is what you think, please explain which paragraph you think is wrong and why.

If you do have a specific example (as RussellHltn suggested might be helpful), please give us some details. The kind of details that would be helpful are something like:
  • I create a reservation for the stake unit for the stake center on January 15 at 7:00pm-8:00pm
  • A calendar editor from the stake unit creates an event for the stake center on January 15 at 7:00pm-8:00pm.
  • I expected a conflict message, but that editor was able to save the event.
etc. Those are the kinds of details that can help us know if there is a bug in the system, or if you still need some help understanding how it works.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

goodog wrote:The whole problem is every time I reserve or block the stake park ( I am the scheduler) on the reservation calendar I would get a double booking (two activities at the same time and the same place). One would be the blocked location and the other would be a ward activity both occurring on the same day same time and for the whole location.
So you're saying that one activity is the reservation and the other is an event? That's not double-booking.

You say you're the building scheduler, but you may not be the only building scheduler in the system. Reservations do not limit anyone with building scheduler rights.

When I go into Settings > Locations & Rooms, I can see who the Building Schedules are. But that's because I'm a Default Admin. You may want to ask a Default Admin to let you know who all is listed as a building scheduler for the Stake Park and Stake House. Is the person who is scheduling the events have a stake calling as well, such as assissant clerk? If so, they'd be able to grant Building Scheduler rights to themselves.

Also, if you've Reserved the location for the Stake, and someone enters a Ward event on a Stake-level calendar, that's not the fault of the system. The system doesn't pay attention to the name of the calendar, or the name of the event. It only looks to see what "level" the calendar itself is at. I'd suggest you go and look at your Subscriptions page and go to the Stake tab. See if there are any "ward" calendars listed there.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”