Where is my calendar?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
2gerolyn

Where is my calendar?

Post by 2gerolyn »

I am a stake web administrator. I created a new calendar this morning. It is listed as active in my calendar list. When I go to my Subscribed calendars it is listed there too...until I check the box...then it disappears. It's the strangest thing. If I point my cursor in the empty box, the name of the calendar appears...but disappears as soon as I move my cursor. I added an event to that calendar (as it shows up in the drop down list) and was shown the box that said the event was successfully created...but the event doesn't show up on the calendar. I refreshed the page...nothing. I signed out and back in again...no change. Does anyone have any suggestions?
2gerolyn

Post by 2gerolyn »

I went back in to see if the new events would show up if I printed the calendar...and sure enough...the events are there...HELP!!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

One thing to check is if someone else in your stake can subscribe to the calendar and if they can see similar problems.

Also, I wonder if there are any unusual characters in the calendar name that might be causing problems. Does the name consist only of letters and spaces, or are there other characters (quotes, apostrophes, ampersands, slashes, for example)?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
2gerolyn

Post by 2gerolyn »

aebrown wrote:One thing to check is if someone else in your stake can subscribe to the calendar and if they can see similar problems.

Also, I wonder if there are any unusual characters in the calendar name that might be causing problems. Does the name consist only of letters and spaces, or are there other characters (quotes, apostrophes, ampersands, slashes, for example)?
Great suggestions and I tried renaming the calendar without parenthesis. I even created a new one with a different name...but with the same results. I hope you laugh (like I did) when I discovered that my new calendar was not assigned a color. Once I assigned it a color...it magically appeared. It's the simple things that humble us...isn't it?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

2gerolyn wrote:I hope you laugh (like I did) when I discovered that my new calendar was not assigned a color. Once I assigned it a color...it magically appeared.

Thanks for reporting the solution. I've never heard of such a problem. Every calendar I have ever created has been assigned a color by default. So I'm surprised that a calendar would have "no color" (which I guess is actually white, so the white text doesn't show up against a white background).

Do you have an extraordinarily large number of calendars? I'm just trying to figure out how your calendar would not have a default color.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
2gerolyn

Post by 2gerolyn »

aebrown wrote:Thanks for reporting the solution. I've never heard of such a problem. Every calendar I have ever created has been assigned a color by default. So I'm surprised that a calendar would have "no color" (which I guess is actually white, so the white text doesn't show up against a white background).

Do you have an extraordinarily large number of calendars? I'm just trying to figure out how your calendar would not have a default color.
Good question. I am working with 46 calendars..
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

2gerolyn wrote:Good question. I am working with 46 calendars..
And it appears that there are only 42 distinct color choices. Of course, white is never a good choice for a background for white text, but the fact that you have more than 42 calendars at least points to a possible place for the developers to look for the problem.

I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but I would note that 46 is certainly a lot of calendars. There are many factors that go into choosing how many calendars to have, but you might want to consider consolidating some calendars -- not just for this bug, but to simplify life for many people who interact with those calendars.
dbollard99

Similar problem...

Post by dbollard99 »

I am a Ward Clerk, and I have a similar problem, located in this thread. Some calendars went white when I renamed some of the original calendars (they had colors before, but now are white, with white text, until hovered over with my mouse).

I just counted my calendars:

• We have 51 calendars.
    • 23 are Stake Calendars
    • 17 are Ward Calendars
    • The rest are misc. calendars (missionary, cleaning, pavillion events, holidays, etc.)
  • Currently, I am subscribing to 38 of the calendars.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I don't want to have to assign colors to each calendars myself, as each individual ward member would have to do the same to see the calendar name.

See this image below to see what it looks like:
colors.JPG
(68.54 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

Thank you!
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

The 42 calendar color limit is now fixed and will be in the next release.
dbollard99

Post by dbollard99 »

What, may I ask, is the new limit?

Return to “Calendar”