BUG: Private calendar not as private as advertised

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
rgme

BUG: Private calendar not as private as advertised

Post by rgme »

I'm looking at the possibility of using private calendars as interview schedules for leaders. I saw that private calendars are supposed to:
If you select Private, the event details will not be visible to anyone except those who you added as viewers for the calendar. Others will be able to see that an event exists, but the event will simply say “private event.”
(https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Calendar_FAQs ... _Questions)
and
Members can see events for private calendars on the calendar, but they cannot see the name or details of any private calendar events.
(https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Managing_calendars)

However, when I created a test private calendar and private event on it, my wife's account (with no calendar administrative rights) was able to see the name, calendar name, time, location, resources, setup/cleanup time, and contact info. The only thing that wasn't visible was the content of the description field. These details were available from the "View Event Details and Location" link.

I understand the the only thing that's deviating from the advertised functionality is that the name of the event is being displayed. (I hope this isn't an issue with people using the event name for confidential events.)

I would propose that more things be "private" on the private calendar (or be optionally so). The events I would include on a private interview calendar typically take place in rooms that aren't available for scheduling, so I wouldn't worry about conflicts. Thus, showing the event to prevent conflicts doesn't seem necessary. Also, the private calendar name doesn't seem like information that needs to be shared.

Do other people have suggestions for using private calendars for interviews?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

I agree that this is a bug -- I really doubt that there was any intention to expose the event title when non-editors (people who are not editors/viewers of the private calendar) drill down to the event details. And the name of the private calendar should not be exposed, either.

I would note that this information is available to non-editors only if some location/room was scheduled as part of the event. Except for that case, non-editors have no way to even see that these private events exist. The ability to add locations/rooms was only added recently in V2 of the calendar, so this problem was introduced in the last month or so.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
rgme

Post by rgme »

Thanks for the hint about not setting a location. That seems to work, and it seems like the best way to go about it.

Makes sense why this beg appeared with the new private calendar functionality.
kyleq

Post by kyleq »

I just tested this out and will be logging it as a bug. I talked with another team member and he mentioned this was resolved at one point. So it appears that this is a regression that was introduced over the last few iterations. Thanks for the report!

Return to “Calendar”