Cannot see the other ward's calendar as the Building Scheduler

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
bgtaylor4
New Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:07 am

Cannot see the other ward's calendar as the Building Scheduler

Postby bgtaylor4 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:37 pm

I don't understand how I'm to function as a Building Scheduler if I cannot see the calendars of my building. In a "perfect" world where everyone in both wards is proficient with Calendar 2.0 and I'm simply (and rarely apparently) plugging in the reservations for the year (or two) this might work. But people are going to call me from both wards as they have done and ask to schedule the building. To instruct them, even if just during the long learning curve until someone else needing training is called to their position, I need the vantage point of seeing their ward's calendar just to help them put their own events on there.

And then, I'm supposed to arbitrate. This certainly includes the (educated) capacity to suggest alternatives.

I thought this was a main point of filtering calendars on/off. Example #2 -- my wife as Activity Days leader looks to see when another ward (the one in our building or another in the stake) is having a meeting -- to attend and observe, to combine with, whatever. That is only possible when she can, if she chooses, see other calendars.

bgtaylor4
New Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:07 am

Postby bgtaylor4 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:38 pm

I saw this explained in the just posted FAQ's and it just sticks out as not making any sense.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:31 pm

bgtaylor4 wrote:I saw this explained in the just posted FAQ's and it just sticks out as not making any sense.


Are you saying you still don't understand it and would like some further explanation, or that you understand it but wish it worked differently?

bgtaylor4 wrote:Example #2 -- my wife as Activity Days leader looks to see when another ward (the one in our building or another in the stake) is having a meeting -- to attend and observe, to combine with, whatever. That is only possible when she can, if she chooses, see other calendars.


I don't see this as a common use case. In order to attend another ward's meeting, she's going to need to make contact with the appropriate leader in the other ward. When she makes that contact, she can ask when and where the meetings are.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:59 pm

bgtaylor4 wrote:I don't understand how I'm to function as a Building Scheduler if I cannot see the calendars of my building.
You do not need to see the calendars of other wards. What you need to see are the scheduled events with resources (rooms and equipment). You can do this - see the instruction in the "See All Events by Location" section of the Members Guide.

bgtaylor4 wrote:In a "perfect" world where everyone in both wards is proficient with Calendar 2.0 and I'm simply (and rarely apparently) plugging in the reservations for the year (or two) this might work. But people are going to call me from both wards as they have done and ask to schedule the building.
The building scheduler cannot create events. Those contacting you should be directed to an appropriate calendar editor or ward administrator. The responsibility for creating events rests with the individual units. The building scheduler role has changed from that in the classic calendar model to a different role in the new calendar model. Members of units will have to adapt to that change. Some units have calendar coordinators as described in post #2 of this thread. As stated there that person is responsible for training within the ward.

bgtaylor4 wrote:To instruct them, even if just during the long learning curve until someone else needing training is called to their position, I need the vantage point of seeing their ward's calendar just to help them put their own events on there.
I can see how you may feel responsible for giving this training. But with the limitations intentionally imposed for members of one unit to view calendars of another unit then the ability to train others will be limited for a building scheduler. Having a calendar coordinator as described in the previously link to post sounds like a viable solution.

bgtaylor4 wrote:And then, I'm supposed to arbitrate. This certainly includes the (educated) capacity to suggest alternatives.
There is no limitation to suggesting alternatives when a building scheduler can view all scheduled events with resources at his or her location.

bgtaylor4 wrote:I thought this was a main point of filtering calendars on/off. Example #2 -- my wife as Activity Days leader looks to see when another ward (the one in our building or another in the stake) is having a meeting -- to attend and observe, to combine with, whatever. That is only possible when she can, if she chooses, see other calendars.
Again your wife can view whether the other ward is having a scheduled meeting. She needs to go to week view in the calendar and select the location in question and hide all subscribed calendars. She will then be able to view all scheduled events with resources at that location.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?


Return to “Calendar”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest