How to schedule a private or family event

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:But although I am arguing that building schedulers should not be scheduling events, I must admit that it is odd to have a role with the title "building scheduler" and then say they shouldn't be scheduling events. They can, of course, still create reservations (they are the only ones who can do that), which is certainly in the realm of scheduling.

I think what you're trying to say is that granting Building Scheduler privileges only grants rights to set reservations. It doesn't give calendar editor rights.

Different units may have different approaches, but I think most are going to roll the Building Scheduler into some other responsibilities. In our case, the Stake Building Scheduler is also the Stake Executive Secretary who takes care of some of the Stake calendars.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:I haven't been able to confirm this, but if the original rights were restored, then a building scheduler should be able to add events to any public home ward calendar.

It doesn't work for me. When I go to create a event, all I see in the drop down lists is Stake Calendars (I'm both a Building Scheduler and default Stake Admin).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:It doesn't work for me. When I go to create a event, all I see in the drop down lists is Stake Calendars (I'm both a Building Scheduler and default Stake Admin).
That could possibly be for a similar reason I stated in post #8. Your default stake administrator rights may be overriding the building scheduler rights in regards to adding calendar events. It would be nice to hear from someone who is only a building scheduler without additional default calendar rights from some other calling.

The current calendar help lacks the clear description of rights and roles provided previously in the v1 calendar help.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

jdlessley wrote:Currently you would not be a default editor derived from the default administrator rights of an assistant ward clerk. There is a limitation identified for those with more than one calling. If one calling is a ward calling with default administrator rights and the other is a stake calling with default administrator rights the stake calling overrides the ward calling. It is not in conjunction with it. The programmers have logged this as an issue. You could be added as editor by calling or by name.
I believe that was only in the Clerk Resources, not in the calendar.
mwgbell

Post by mwgbell »

jdlessley wrote:That could possibly be for a similar reason I stated in post #8. Your default stake administrator rights may be overriding the building scheduler rights in regards to adding calendar events. It would be nice to hear from someone who is only a building scheduler without additional default calendar rights from some other calling.

For the purposes of the test, I set my wife's account up as a building scheduler for the building in which we meet. (She is the ward Organist, so has no "special" calendar access.) I logged on as her; and confirmed that her account can enter Reservations. However, she is unable to enter any calendar events of any kind.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:That could possibly be for a similar reason I stated in post #8. Your default stake administrator rights may be overriding the building scheduler rights in regards to adding calendar events. .

The reported problem had to do with two callings bubbling up from MLS. The Building Scheduler is assigned from within the calendar system. It seems unlikely it would be hit by the same bug.

kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

RussellHltn wrote:Maybe not Church events, but I don't see a problem in this case.

Here's what I'd do: if there is no suitable calendar, create a new one and call it "private events". Make sure the building scheduler has editor rights to it. You may want to make it private. Then schedule the event with the resources requested.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the point of bothering any one else or using other calendars for private family events.
Making a calendar for "non-ward" events, and giving the building scheduler edit rights, of course, makes the building scheduler a calendar editor with rights to create events now that schedule a resource, augmenting his ability to make reservations. I also like the "private" calendar for the building scheduler so a family dinner on thanksgiving day doesn't show on the ward calendars.

If the stake wants a little more control, (because stake admins can't see ward calendars) and there may be policies to enforce or watch, stake calendars could be made for "Private Events" calendars one for each building in the stake, and make each building scheduler the editor. In this way, stake admins could be made editors or viewers, to have oversight of the calendars when needed.

Making the "private events" calendar a stake calendar would also allow the calendar to persist through multiple years with building schedulers from each ward sharing a building. This might be very helpful for a training period each December to have the old scheduler from one ward and the new scheduler from the next ward have simultaneous edit rights. This wouldn't be possible if the building scheduler calendar was made as a ward calendar in the schedulers ward.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

jdlessley wrote:That could possibly be for a similar reason I stated in post #8. Your default stake administrator rights may be overriding the building scheduler rights in regards to adding calendar events. It would be nice to hear from someone who is only a building scheduler without additional default calendar rights from some other calling.

The current calendar help lacks the clear description of rights and roles provided previously in the v1 calendar help.
Has anyone answered this yet, as to whether being an administrator overrides the scheduler rights, or vice versa? If there is an override, this may explain some of my problems....
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:Has anyone answered this yet, as to whether being an administrator overrides the scheduler rights, or vice versa? If there is an override, this may explain some of my problems....
RussellHltn gave his theory here. But what RussellHltn reported in the post that started this little side discussion is not a problem at all -- that's exactly how the system is supposed to work. A building scheduler can't add to any calendars because of that role. If he is also a stake calendar administrator or editor, he'll be able to add to those calendars he has permission for; if he is also a ward calendar administrator or editor, the same for the ward level.

I really doubt that any problems you are experiencing are related to jdlessley's speculation. I have experience with building schedulers who are stake administrators, schedulers who are ward administrators, schedulers who are not any kind of administrator but are editors, and I have tested schedulers who are neither administrators or editors. In none of these cases has there been any hint of building scheduler permissions being affected by any other role. So although your combination of callings (both stake and ward administrator) is not a particular combination I've tested, that other experience leads me to doubt that those calling are affecting building scheduler tasks in any way.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I wish we had one of you guys...like aebrown....down here in our stake for a day..... I will keep trying but even with all the help screens and this forum, I am still struggling...

Return to “Calendar”