How to schedule a private or family event

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
zaneclark
Senior Member
Posts: 907
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:34 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Contact:

How to schedule a private or family event

Postby zaneclark » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:38 pm

I give up. I am the stake clerk assigned to help others with their calendars. I watched the training video, read through all of the FAQ, read everything else I could find and still failed a simple task today. The building scheduler in the building I attend said he had been having problems with a something and asked if I could help. I thought I could, but failed. I need someone to lead me through the steps that a building scheduler would follow for the the following request....a family wants to schedule the cultural hall and the kitchen for a family gathering. Seems simple, but we spent an hour trying to follow the instructions, but couldn’t make it work. We can place the family in the building but could not assign the resources they needed,the kitchen and cultural hall... If someone could help...in plain English....we would be very grateful... You can do this in a private message or on the forum.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14691
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:22 pm

zaneclark wrote:I give up. I am the stake clerk assigned to help others with their calendars. I watched the training video, read through all of the FAQ, read everything else I could find and still failed a simple task today. The building scheduler in the building I attend said he had been having problems with a something and asked if I could help. I thought I could, but failed. I need someone to lead me through the steps that a building scheduler would follow for the the following request....a family wants to schedule the cultural hall and the kitchen for a family gathering. Seems simple, but we spent an hour trying to follow the instructions, but couldn’t make it work. We can place the family in the building but could not assign the resources they needed,the kitchen and cultural hall... If someone could help...in plain English....we would be very grateful... You can do this in a private message or on the forum.


From all I've read about how the new calendar works, I've drawn the conclusion that building scheduler should not be scheduling events. A building scheduler should be making reservations, which are typically repeating, but not actually making events. No resource is truly booked until an event is created for it. Therefore all events should be created by a ward administrator or editor for ward events, or a stake administrator or editor for stake events. Of course, a building scheduler may have other roles -- I was speaking only of the building scheduler role. Some stakes may well choose to have the building scheduler be a calendar editor for at least one calendar, or perhaps even a stake calendar administrator, but that is a separate role.

Even private events should follow that rule. It's convenient for the stake and/or wards to have a calendar designed for these events so that they don't clutter more general calendars.

So with that background, here's my process for your request: "a family wants to schedule the cultural hall and the kitchen for a family gathering"

  1. Building scheduler tells the requesting family that we have a new system and they need to contact a calendar administrator or editor in their ward.
  2. The ward administrator or editor creates an event (preferably on a calendar called "Resource Only" or "Family Events" or something that would help members know they may not want to subscribe to that calendar). That even specifies the location and specific rooms. If you need help with this procedure, see Schedule an event in the help system.
If that was difficult for you, I'm guessing that the reason is that you (or the building scheduler) were trying to put an event on a calendar you weren't an editor for. Which further reinforces the point I made at the beginning.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20757
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:15 pm

aebrown wrote:From all I've read about how the new calendar works, I've drawn the conclusion that building scheduler should not be scheduling events.


Maybe not Church events, but I don't see a problem in this case.

Here's what I'd do: if there is no suitable calendar, create a new one and call it "private events". Make sure the building scheduler has editor rights to it. You may want to make it private. Then schedule the event with the resources requested.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the point of bothering any one else or using other calendars for private family events.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

zaneclark
Senior Member
Posts: 907
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:34 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Contact:

Postby zaneclark » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:16 pm

aebrown wrote:
If that was difficult for you, I'm guessing that the reason is that you (or the building scheduler) were trying to put an event on a calendar you weren't an editor for. Which further reinforces the point I made at the beginning.


Thank you for the answer. I will try it again, but the building scheduler is the ex sec in the ward and I am an assistant ward clerk, in addition to my stake assignment, so I would guess that this would make us both editors.....

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14691
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:20 pm

RussellHltn wrote:Maybe not Church events, but I don't see a problem in this case.

Here's what I'd do: if there is no suitable calendar, create a new one and call it "private events". Make sure the building scheduler has editor rights to it. You may want to make it private. Then schedule the event with the resources requested.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the point of bothering any one else or using other calendars for private family events.


But you're suggesting things that a building scheduler can't do. A building scheduler has no ability to create a calendar (aside from the ability any member has to propose a new calendar), and a building scheduler has no ability to add events to any calendar (unless he is also a calendar editor).

Now it's possible that a stake may choose to give the person who is a building scheduler additional roles -- I explicitly mentioned that in my post, and that's all you are suggesting. But a person who is only a building scheduler can't do those things.

I still think scheduling should be a ward or stake function. You say there's no reason to bother anyone besides the building scheduler for private family events. I say there's no reason to bother anyone besides a ward administrator for such events. I know it's a big change from the traditional way of doing things, but it really does work well in our stake to just let the wards schedule events -- public or private.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20757
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:46 pm

aebrown wrote:You say there's no reason to bother anyone besides the building scheduler for private family events. I say there's no reason to bother anyone besides a ward administrator for such events. I know it's a big change from the traditional way of doing things, but it really does work well in our stake to just let the wards schedule events -- public or private.


In our case there's a need to make sure other Stake policies are complied with. Once set up, I think the private events calendar will work well.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

mwgbell
Member
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:01 am
Location: Henderson, NV, USA

Postby mwgbell » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:47 pm

Perhaps some of the confusion comes from the terminology on these web pages: https://lds.org/church-calendar/help/eng/calendarhelp/index.htm#3246.htm (this is help page information that you go to when selecting HELP from the calendar.)

The calendar does not offer a "Submit Event" button because in the new model, everyone can potentially be a calendar editor with publish rights (alternatively, members can contact the building scheduler to schedule events).

Or: https://lds.org/church-calendar/help/eng/calendarhelp/index.htm#3268.htm In a few cases, such as wedding receptions, funerals, and private parties, some non-editor members will need to submit event requests. In these cases, they should contact the ward website administrator or building scheduler to check availability and schedule the event.

Aebrown points out below that a "building scheduler" is not a "calendar editor" -- and cannot enter events on the calendar, despite the text in the Help pages. (Though I imagine that most "building schedulers" also end up as Calendar Editors or Administrators.)

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:57 pm

zaneclark wrote:Thank you for the answer. I will try it again, but the building scheduler is the ex sec in the ward and I am an assistant ward clerk, in addition to my stake assignment, so I would guess that this would make us both editors.....
Currently you would not be a default editor derived from the default administrator rights of an assistant ward clerk. There is a limitation identified for those with more than one calling. If one calling is a ward calling with default administrator rights and the other is a stake calling with default administrator rights the stake calling overrides the ward calling. It is not in conjunction with it. The programmers have logged this as an issue. You could be added as editor by calling or by name.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14691
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:07 pm

mwgbell wrote:Perhaps some of the confusion comes from the terminology on these web pages:


That's a good point. With v1, building schedulers could add events to ward and stake calendars, so the documentation was accurate then, but that capability was intentionally taken away (the reason being that the previous capability was accidental). So the documentation needs to be updated.

But although I am arguing that building schedulers should not be scheduling events, I must admit that it is odd to have a role with the title "building scheduler" and then say they shouldn't be scheduling events. They can, of course, still create reservations (they are the only ones who can do that), which is certainly in the realm of scheduling.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:43 pm

aebrown wrote:That's a good point. With v1, building schedulers could add events to ward and stake calendars, so the documentation was accurate then, but that capability was intentionally taken away (the reason being that the previous capability was accidental). So the documentation needs to be updated.
The original documentation outlined the rights a building scheduler had in v1. That documentation stated that a building scheduler was a default editor for all the building scheduler's home ward public calendars but could not add events to any other ward calendars at that location. Then there was an update to v1, v1.x.x, that accidentally gave building schedulers edit rights to all public calendars at their location and public stake calendars. Then with v2 the original building scheduler rights were restored. I haven't been able to confirm this, but if the original rights were restored, then a building scheduler should be able to add events to any public home ward calendar.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?


Return to “Calendar”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest