Calendar Improvement Idea

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
TerryDM
Church Employee
Church Employee

You can schedule as many resources in a facility as needed for any Event

Post by TerryDM »

That takes care of the baptismal font, but one challenge with this approach is that it doesn't handle the other rooms. A baptismal service will always require at least one more room in the stake center (RS Room or a room next to the font). Since an event can only reserve one location, this would require two separate events to be scheduled for each baptism
It has been stated that only a single resource can be scheduled for an event. This simply is not true. Any event can schedule as many resources as are needed. Thus is a baptism requires the Baptismal font and the Chapel you can schedule both from the one event. It is unfortunate that the screen is not clear on this, but if you hold down the control key (on Windows) or the Command Key (on Mac) while clicking on the resources you can pick as many resources as needed.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

terrydm wrote:It has been stated that only a single resource can be scheduled for an event. This simply is not true.
you are correct for a normal building calendar, as most will be set up, but the discussion referenced modifying the usual set-up, and making the baptismal font it's own resource, the only resource available on its own calendar, thus, there would not be any other rooms to select....
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

terrydm wrote:It has been stated that only a single resource can be scheduled for an event. This simply is not true.

To be clear, I never stated that only a single resource can be scheduled for an event. I said that only a single location can be scheduled for an event. That is indeed true. I was responding to a proposal to put the baptismal font in a separate custom location. That proposal creates the problem that you would need one event to schedule the resources (which may be more than one room) in the stake center, and another event to schedule that custom location.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mwgbell wrote:\I added all wards to the Stake Center; and added the WMLs individually to the Baptismal calendar, and we should now be all set.

Personally, I'd think it would be better to have those events on a ward calendar where the ward members are more likely to see it. By connecting to the resource, that takes care of blocking the resource from other uses.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:A baptismal service will always require at least one more room in the stake center (RS Room or a room next to the font).

I was thinking of our building layout where the font is off the multi-purpose room. As a result, I've listed that "room" as "Multi-purpose/Baptismal font" as it's physically impractical to use one without interfering with the use of the other. So in our case, baptism don't have to take more then one room.

But putting it as a separate location would cause problems with other events that want to use the multi-purpose room and something else.

But I did take this approch with our High Council room. The only time I can think of where an event uses it and other resources is when we have a singles or youth conference. A rare enough event to not be a problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mwgbell

Post by mwgbell »

RussellHltn wrote:Personally, I'd think it would be better to have those events on a ward calendar where the ward members are more likely to see it. By connecting to the resource, that takes care of blocking the resource from other uses.

The Stake Primary Presidency "manages" the 8-year old baptisms which are done on a Stake basis. We put them on that same calendar, since we couldn't put them on the individual ward calendars. I think we can recommend that everyone subscribe to the baptismal calendar, and see all the 8-year old and convert baptisms in the stake. And, nothing would prevent a ward from scheduling a baptism on their own ward calendar, using the "RS Room / Font" (I removed both of those from the Stake Center; and replaced them with a custom "RS Room / Font" location to ensure that we didn't have the case with one group reserving the font whilst another group reserved the RS room!

Return to “Calendar”