Reservations of Buildings/Resources

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
greglebaron

Post by greglebaron »

So, do I understand that if I as the building scheduler reserve a specific date, time and resource as "Blocked -- Location Unavailable" that somebody else can schedule an event at the same date, time and resource? Our building is also used by the mission, people going to the temple next door, receptions, etc., so I Reserve the resources needed rather than schedule an event that requires I choose a calendar because I don't want to place those events on the Stake Calendar. Am I using the Calendar correctly or should I be scheduling those types of items as Events? I find it disturbing Reserving the resource if somebody can schedule and event over them.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

greglebaron wrote:So, do I understand that if I as the building scheduler reserve a specific date, time and resource as "Blocked -- Location Unavailable" that somebody else can schedule an event at the same date, time and resource? Our building is also used by the mission, people going to the temple next door, receptions, etc., so I Reserve the resources needed rather than schedule an event that requires I choose a calendar because I don't want to place those events on the Stake Calendar. Am I using the Calendar correctly or should I be scheduling those types of items as Events? I find it disturbing Reserving the resource if somebody can schedule and event over them.
That's not what is described in this thread. If you'll read my detailed explanation, you'll see that the problem with this particular bug is that you (since you are a building scheduler) can schedule two conflicting events on top of the same reservation. That doesn't mean that anyone else can do so.

It's largely a matter of preference as to how you book events such as you describe. Personally, I like creating a "Resource Only" calendar that such events can be put on. An event is the only way to book a resource so that no one can book that resource. If you use the "Blocked" reservation, then only you (or another building scheduler, if one exists) can schedule an event on top of that reservation. But the fact remains that you can indeed do that. It's possible that a scenario could arise where you are scheduling an event months after you made a reservation, and you forget that you made that reservation, and so you inadvertently schedule an event on top of a reservation. Using a "Resource Only" calendar also lets other people book such events, even though they are not building schedulers. You may see that as a blessing or a curse, but I see it as a blessing.

For this reason (and because it makes a lot of sense to me philosophically), I like using events to book resources, and reservations only to deny others the ability to schedule events for a resource. But with discipline you can use Reservations to accomplish the same thing.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:That's not what is described in this thread. If you'll read my detailed explanation, you'll see that the problem with this particular bug is that you (since you are a building scheduler) can schedule two conflicting events on top of the same reservation. That doesn't mean that anyone else can do so.
Isn't it more accurate to say anyone with Building Scheduler rights can do that? There may not always be just one in any given stake.

I'm an advocate of using a calendar called "Private Events" for such things. If desired, you can make it private since V2 does allow private events to use Resources.

Also, I don't think that reservations show up when people are looking "by location" to see what else might be happening.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Isn't it more accurate to say anyone with Building Scheduler rights can do that? There may not always be just one in any given stake.

True, and if you would have read the second paragraph of my post, you would have seen that I acknowledged that very point. I used the singular in my paragraph directed specifically to greglebaron because he also used the singular.
RussellHltn wrote:I'm an advocate of using a calendar called "Private Events" for such things. If desired, you can make it private since V2 does allow private events to use Resources.
That's fine. I find that I need to use that calendar for purposes other than just private events (setup/cleanup times that don't match the limited presets, for example, or a projector reservation that is for church purposes, but doesn't correspond to a scheduled event), so I use a more generic name, but you can name it whatever you want.
RussellHltn wrote:Also, I don't think that reservations show up when people are looking "by location" to see what else might be happening.
Not true. Anyone can see reservations now on V2, when they check the box for a particular location.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:That's fine. I find that I need to use that calendar for purposes other than just private events (setup/cleanup times that don't match the limited presets, for example, or a projector reservation that is for church purposes, but doesn't correspond to a scheduled event), so I use a more generic name, but you can name it whatever you want.

What do you call it?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:What do you call it?
As I mentioned in the second paragraph of my earlier post, I call it "Resource Only".
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

We do pretty much the same thing in our stake. We've termed it the "Stake Resource Calendar". It only has weddings, family dinners, and other stuff that doesn't need to be on the stake or ward calendars. For example, our stake does a men's basketball season which uses two buildings each week. Rather than put two entries on the stake calendar for both buildings, we put one on the stake calendar with title and description identifying both buildings, and another on the Resource Calendar with the same text for the other building.
greglebaron

Post by greglebaron »

Thank you so much for the explanation of how the calendaring program works and for the suggestions of who others are handling this. The discussion has been very helpful for me.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

aebrown wrote:I have confirmed this theory. It indeed only applies to building schedulers:

This has now been fixed: see Calendar version 2.0.6 released!

Return to “Calendar”