A stake calendar has disappeared

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
kmertlich
New Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:55 am
Location: Layton, Utah

A stake calendar has disappeared

Postby kmertlich » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:16 pm

A buidling scheduler contacted me today indicating that one of the defined stake calendars is no longer available to select as a subscribed calendar and is not listed in the New Event or Event Detail view. The calendar does not show up as a deleted calendar. After further investigation I found the events for this calendar under the Reservation view for the buidling they were assigned to.

I am suspecting someone may have changed the calendar from a stake calendar to a specific unit calendar. If so, how do I re-define this as a stake calendar or discover who did it so they can? When creating a calendar the viewers/editors are defined. If someone where to remove me (stake clerk) would that make it so that I can't see the calendar?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14689
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:57 pm

kmertlich wrote:A building scheduler contacted me today indicating that one of the defined stake calendars is no longer available to select as a subscribed calendar and is not listed in the New Event or Event Detail view. The calendar does not show up as a deleted calendar.


If someone deleted the calendar, and really wanted it to be gone, it is possible to remove it from the list of deleted calendars. I don't know if that could have happened here, but it's at least technically feasible.

kmertlich wrote:After further investigation I found the events for this calendar under the Reservation view for the building they were assigned to.


That is quite strange. I find it inconceivable (and yes, I know what that word means) that actual calendar events somehow simply migrated to become reservations. But the only other explanation is that someone manually entered those events (it can't be an import, because the import features work only with events, not reservations).

kmertlich wrote:I am suspecting someone may have changed the calendar from a stake calendar to a specific unit calendar. If so, how do I re-define this as a stake calendar or discover who did it so they can?


In this post, the reverse of the procedure is described. But it seems like the same basic idea should work in your case.

kmertlich wrote:When creating a calendar the viewers/editors are defined. If someone where to remove me (stake clerk) would that make it so that I can't see the calendar?


That only applies to private calendars. For public calendars that you are subscribed to, there is no way for someone to remove your rights to see a calendar.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20745
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:57 pm

aebrown wrote:That is quite strange. I find it inconceivable (and yes, I know what that word means) that actual calendar events somehow simply migrated to become reservations.


Ah, but with 2.0.1, the Reservations calender doesn't just display reservations. It also displays events.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14689
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:59 pm

RussellHltn wrote:Ah, but with 2.0.1, the Reservations calender doesn't just display reservations. It also displays events.


That just shows that I need to spend more time with the new release. Thanks for pointing that out. My statement is still true -- events don't turn into reservations -- but events can appear on the reservation calendar.

Of course, just because it displays the events doesn't mean that they are reservations. They are still events, distinct from the reservations, and displayed in a different color.

So back to the original post, the relevant question is: do those events on the missing calendar appear on the Reservations calendar as events (black text) or as reservations (gray text)? If they are displayed as reservations, then something very strange is going on. If they are displayed as events, then that's good news -- the events are still on some calendar somewhere, and you just need to locate it. Clicking on one of those events and examining the event details might give you some helpful clues.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

kmertlich
New Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:55 am
Location: Layton, Utah

Postby kmertlich » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:50 pm

aebrown wrote:...So back to the original post, the relevant question is: do those events on the missing calendar appear on the Reservations calendar as events (black text) or as reservations (gray text)? If they are displayed as reservations, then something very strange is going on. If they are displayed as events, then that's good news -- the events are still on some calendar somewhere, and you just need to locate it. Clicking on one of those events and examining the event details might give you some helpful clues.


Here are the screen examples I took when I was investigating this afternoon. The events from the missing calendar do appear on the Reservation calendar as black text - so all appears to be working correctly here. The calendar name is "Bld - Church Street ...". It contains exported events from a Resource Calendar from the classic.lds.org website. I imported these events a few months ago into a specific new calendar to assist the transition from the old to the new calendars. I am still working on locating the missing calendar.
Attachments
03ReservationEditEventDetail_Nov10SchdEventLoc.jpg
03ReservationEditEventDetail_Nov10SchdEventLoc.jpg (18.76 KiB) Viewed 62 times
01Reservations_Nov10SchdEventLoc.jpg
(28.13 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
02ReservationEditEvent_Nov10SchdEventLoc.png
02ReservationEditEvent_Nov10SchdEventLoc.png (10.07 KiB) Viewed 61 times
05ReservationNewRes.PNG
05ReservationNewRes.PNG (8.94 KiB) Viewed 61 times
20CalendarEvent Details.jpg
20CalendarEvent Details.jpg (9.29 KiB) Viewed 61 times

kmertlich
New Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:55 am
Location: Layton, Utah

Postby kmertlich » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:20 pm

It sure would be nice if a tool were created to allow a stake administrator to review all pending and active calendars from within their Stake. It seems my issue is not unique. I am still searching for my missing calendar. I have asked all of our ward clerks/administrators to see if they can find the lost calendar. If anyone has any other suggestions it would be appreciated.

kmertlich
New Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:55 am
Location: Layton, Utah

Postby kmertlich » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:48 pm

Mystery resolved. The missing stake calendar was changed to a ward calendar and therefore was no longer visible to anyone but the defined ward. This occured because the building scheduler was defined as a "Viewer/Editor" of the calendar allowing him the ability to change the calendar from a stake to a ward calendar.


Return to “Calendar”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest