Duplicate location name showing up for event scheduling

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
gemss

Post by gemss »

Just wanted to say "Thank you".

I logged in to our calendar yesterday and all the duplicate locations have been removed. Our stake will start implementing the new system over the next few weeks. :)
krowberry

Post by krowberry »

Thanks for the responses, ideas and suggestions. I have submitted a case to the MLS support team for our situation. We have have removed the check from all of the boxes stating "This location can be scheduled by Wards and Stakes". In theory, no buildings should now show up for members to schedule. However, we still have one location entry showing for one building as I noted previously. I have no way to stop the scheduling of this location. I opened a case with the MLS support team and sent them copies of the different screens so they can see what is happening. I have checked with different users on different machines to validate the situation. I have not checked the situation using different browsers. At this point, I am waiting for the response from the support team. I should also note that some of the duplicate location entries we were seeing previously have been deleted.
nathangg

Post by nathangg »

Did this issue get fixed for the people that were experiencing it?

Our stake now has this problem. I'm down at the ward level so I don't have visibility to modify locations... but I'd love to suggest a fix up to someone at the stake level.

Should I tell them to follow these instructions posted by aebrown? After the instructions are followed, then what? Should they call someone or email someone to have it fixed from the developer's side?

Thank you!
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

nathangg wrote:Our stake now has this problem. I'm down at the ward level so I don't have visibility to modify locations... but I'd love to suggest a fix up to someone at the stake level.

The problem of the system automatically creating duplicate locations has been fixed. If a new duplicate has shown up in your stake, my first guess would be that someone created it manually. That's where I'd start investigating.
adriananderson

Post by adriananderson »

jdcr256 wrote:The problem of the system automatically creating duplicate locations has been fixed. If a new duplicate has shown up in your stake, my first guess would be that someone created it manually. That's where I'd start investigating.
I'm a calendar administrator in the Parker Colorado Stake, and the list that shows up when editing an event is not the same list that shows up under Settings->"Locations & Rooms". Is this the same problem or should I open a ticket with MLS?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

adriananderson wrote:I'm a calendar administrator in the Parker Colorado Stake, and the list that shows up when editing an event is not the same list that shows up under Settings->"Locations & Rooms". Is this the same problem or should I open a ticket with MLS?

Unless the check box "This location can be scheduled by Wards and Stakes" is checked when you edit a Location, that Location will not appear in the list of locations when editing an event.

Is that what you are seeing?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

adriananderson wrote:'m a calendar administrator in the Parker Colorado Stake, and the list that shows up when editing an event is not the same list that shows up under Settings->"Locations & Rooms". Is this the same problem or should I open a ticket with MLS?
Can you be more specific about the differences between the list in "Locations & Rooms" and what is displayed in the "Location:" list box of an event setup screen? There can be differences depending on the setup of a location.

When a location is not set up with the "This location can be scheduled by Wards and Stakes" checked, the location will not appear on any calendar location list in any unit within the stake.

Another setting that will cause the location to not appear in the list of available locations when creating an event is when units have not been added to a location. A calendar editor in the Hillside Ward will not see the Valley Meetinghouse if the Hillside Ward has not been added to the Valley Meetinghouse location.

See Setting up locations for more information.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
nathangg

Post by nathangg »

This is what I am seeing when I try to create an event:

http://screencast.com/t/S8nWIbcxaQg

(I'm in the same stake as Adrian... I see things from the ward level and Adrian from the stake level).

Here is what part of the admin locations screen looks like from his end:

http://screencast.com/t/zuR1QhW2S

So it appears that the admin screen is only showing one location for each building, but when I try to schedule an event from my end two locations show up for a few of the buildings.

Hopefully this helps visualize the problem? Would you like me to get more screenshots?

Thanks~!
-- Nathan
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Are the buildings shared between stakes (Parker Colorado and Arapahoe Colorado)? I think what's happened is that the other stake has a location and has shared it with your units. So "their" locations show up when you go to schedule as well as the ones you have at your stake level. But since you don't manage their locations, it doesn't show up in the locations screen.

I'd guess that the buildings should only exist at the stake level in the agent stake and be shared with the non-agent stake/wards. The duplicate location in the non-agent stake needs to be deleted and the associated activities moved to the remaining location.

Because as it stands now, you've got duplicate locations which could cause double-booking of events.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nathangg

Post by nathangg »

RussellHltn wrote:Are the buildings shared between stakes (Parker Colorado and Arapahoe Colorado)? I think what's happened is that the other stake has a location and has shared it with your units. So "their" locations show up when you go to schedule as well as the ones you have at your stake level. But since you don't manage their locations, it doesn't show up in the locations screen.
This is exactly what we found out to be the problem. The other stakes' locations are showing up when we try to create/edit events, but their locations do not show up on our "Locations & Resources" screen.
RussellHltn wrote:I'd guess that the buildings should only exist at the stake level in the agent stake and be shared with the non-agent stake/wards. The duplicate location in the non-agent stake needs to be deleted and the associated activities moved to the remaining location.

Because as it stands now, you've got duplicate locations which could cause double-booking of events.
We've asked the other Stake to delete the extra location so we can share the location with them (we are the agent stake), but they said they can't because it is the FM database. I don't have access to any of the stake screens, so I don't know what to do to "make it right".

Can locations be deleted? I've seen screenshots but I don't see any delete button.

Also, I just read, "Locations and resources shared by multiple stakes" (it is on the bottom of the page). It says that the integration is automatic if locations are entered into the FMAT database.

How can we tell if a location is in the FMAT database vs if it was created through the calendaring system?

Perhaps locations created through FMAT cannot be deleted and locations created through the calendaring system (outside of FMAT) can be deleted?

Return to “Calendar”