Unable to modify recurring event "exceptions"

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
CaptainQwyx

Also seeing a problem with modified recurring events

Post by CaptainQwyx »

I'm also seeing modified recurring events listed in both their previous and new time slots

On 10/22 I created a recurring all-day event every 1st Sunday title "Fast Sunday". Because of holidays and conferences I had to move these events to the following week in Jan, Feb, Apr, Oct. After the v2 update I had Fast Sundays on both the 1st and 2nd Sundays in these months. I've removed the incorrect events in Jan, Feb, Apr, but have left Oct alone. The correct March Fast Sunday event is 4583859 and the October events are 4583870 and 4583871.

Of more concern is the recurring events that were edited in Name/Title but those edits are no longer showing up. We have events for "Family Visits", "Temple Recommends", and "Bishop PPI" on almost every Tuesday and Thursday throughout the year. These events rotate through the various units in our stake. I created recurring events for each of these events (6:30pm "Family Visits" -the first 3 Tuesdays of every month) and then went back and edited each individual event so it had the correct unit/location in the name ("Family Visits - WAX3"). Now all of these events are back to the original name pre-edit.

For example:
Family Visits: 4567402
Temple Recommend Interviews: 4567971
Bishop PPI: 4568719

Will I have to go through all of these events and re-apply to edits?
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

Thanks for all the detailed information several of you provided to help us track this down. It appears that there were several series of repeating events that did not get converted to 2.0 correctly. Whether it was due to a v1 bug that corrupted the data, or a bug in our conversion process, we do not know. Luckily, only 50 or so series were affected (out of the many thousands of total series).

We are experimenting with a method to clean up this data. However, our clean-up could have minor, unintended consequences. We are basically guessing which recurrence pattern was used when the event was created, so if a user opens the newly regenerated event and saves it, it could create new instances of the event if our guessed pattern is slightly off.

We are intending to contact the creators of the events via email before we modify their events.
mnmpeterson

Post by mnmpeterson »

jdcr256 wrote:Thanks for all the detailed information several of you provided to help us track this down. It appears that there were several series of repeating events that did not get converted to 2.0 correctly. Whether it was due to a v1 bug that corrupted the data, or a bug in our conversion process, we do not know. Luckily, only 50 or so series were affected (out of the many thousands of total series).

We are experimenting with a method to clean up this data. However, our clean-up could have minor, unintended consequences. We are basically guessing which recurrence pattern was used when the event was created, so if a user opens the newly regenerated event and saves it, it could create new instances of the event if our guessed pattern is slightly off.

We are intending to contact the creators of the events via email before we modify their events.
At this point I would be happy if you could just delete the corrupted events so we can create them from scratch.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

We are still looking for the root cause of this bug. We've fixed one bug related to not being able to delete specific recurring events, but there is still at least one more bug we have not found. Rather than delete these events manually on our side as they are reported, we prefer to fix the bug that is blocking the ability to delete. We hope to have a fix by our next weekly bug fix release (scheduled for next Wed.).
ceolsen

It is getting critical

Post by ceolsen »

I appreciate your work on resolving this issue. However, it is getting critical on our side. Today is the first day we are distributing calendars for November and December to Priesthood Executive Committees, and we have eleven (11) events on our November calendar which need to be deleted / modified.

Thank you for prioritizing this serious problem.

Chuck Olsen, Orlando Florida South Stake Executive Secretary

Return to “Calendar”