Reoccuring events now require an end date

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ThomsonMA wrote:I guess I should have been more clear that I was referring to events that were moved forward from the V1 calendar. If it was created in the V1 calendar, the last instance didn't show up after the V2 update. I'd click on the first instance to open the edit dialog, and it looked correct. But until I reset the ending date to the day after the real ending date, I wouldn't get that last on one the calendar. Using my previous example, I'd have to set the ending date to 10/28 rather than 10/27 to get an instance of the event on 10/27.

But even with that clarification, I'm not seeing what you are seeing. I have some repeating events that were migrated from v1 that have an end date that matches the repeating pattern, and those end dates to appear as instances. So there must be some additional factor affecting your events that didn't affect mine. I haven't done an exhaustive search, but the first couple of events that matched this pattern did seem to work properly.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mnmpeterson

Post by mnmpeterson »

Deleting events without end dates was not cool. Too bad it didn't just automatically put an end date two years out. Now I have to go into my Holidays & Observances calendar and enter all of the events again.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mnmpeterson wrote:Deleting events without end dates was not cool. Too bad it didn't just automatically put an end date two years out. Now I have to go into my Holidays & Observances calendar and enter all of the events again.
Did you actually have events get deleted that were within the two-year time frame? I had lots of repeating events without end dates in v1, and the events are all still there. It's just that they now have end dates, so I lost the future instances of those events that were past the 2-year mark. In my experience the migration did exactly what you said it was "too bad" it didn't do.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

mnmpeterson wrote:Deleting events without end dates was not cool. Too bad it didn't just automatically put an end date two years out. Now I have to go into my Holidays & Observances calendar and enter all of the events again.

Your holiday's did not get deleted because they did not have an end date. No holidays or birthdays were included from the v1 data. Our system simply wouldn't be able to handle every ward creating their own holiday calendar and birthday calendar.

Online calendar services like Google get around this problem two ways. a) By providing built-in holiday calendars that people can use. b) By having way more resources than we have.

We hadn't thought it would be necessary to overcome the holiday issue, but based on the number of holiday events we had to skip over when importing the data, we are considering offering built-in holiday calendars, similar to what Google does.
mnmpeterson

Post by mnmpeterson »

jdcr256 wrote:Your holiday's did not get deleted because they did not have an end date. No holidays or birthdays were included from the v1 data. Our system simply wouldn't be able to handle every ward creating their own holiday calendar and birthday calendar.

Online calendar services like Google get around this problem two ways. a) By providing built-in holiday calendars that people can use. b) By having way more resources than we have.

We hadn't thought it would be necessary to overcome the holiday issue, but based on the number of holiday events we had to skip over when importing the data, we are considering offering built-in holiday calendars, similar to what Google does.

The problem with not including holidays is all the wards in the stake will enter holidays in their own calendars, thus, magnifying the problem. Some units are even duplicating holidays in multiple calendars within the ward. At least a stake-level holiday calendar helps resolve the issue until a built-in holiday calendar goes live.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdcr256 wrote:Your holiday's did not get deleted because they did not have an end date. No holidays or birthdays were included from the v1 data. Our system simply wouldn't be able to handle every ward creating their own holiday calendar and birthday calendar.

We created a single holiday calendar at the stake level. It's a calendar that contains far less than 1% of the events in our stake. So I find it hard to believe that it would overwhelm the resources in any way. If wards created birthday calendars for every member, I could see how that impact might be significant. But holidays? No way.

In any case, holidays are an important part of scheduling, and deleting those events without even mentioning them in the release notes wasn't particularly helpful. With no clear communication on this topic, the likely result of your deletions is that people will grumble a lot about the deletion and then just go in and create those calendars again. So you'll have the resource problem you had anyway, with users more unhappy about the extra work.

If this issue is important, I'd suggestion you face it head-on and communicate what you expect wards and stakes to do (or not do) in this area.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:Did you actually have events get deleted that were within the two-year time frame? I had lots of repeating events without end dates in v1, and the events are all still there. It's just that they now have end dates, so I lost the future instances of those events that were past the 2-year mark. In my experience the migration did exactly what you said it was "too bad" it didn't do.

I lost all my Holidays. Most of those were repeating events with no ends dates (such as Dec 25th).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:I lost all my Holidays. Most of those were repeating events with no ends dates (such as Dec 25th).
Yeah, jdcr256 answered the question in the very next post. I lost all my holidays, too -- I just hadn't looked at them yet. When I asked my question, I had only looked at other calendars, and in those case, recurring events with no end dates were not deleted, but were simply supplied with an end date 2 years out. Once I saw that holiday calendars were treated specially in the migration, I looked at my Holiday calendar and saw that all events were gone.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Well, until the church decides to add their own Holiday calendar, I guess I'll just have to go back to recreating it.

This is getting seriously frustrating.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdcr256 wrote:No holidays or birthdays were included from the v1 data. Our system simply wouldn't be able to handle every ward creating their own holiday calendar and birthday calendar.

That's worrisome. I'm having a hard time constructing a data model where each unit creating a Holiday would cause an undue strain on the system. So far our stake in still sticking it's toes in the water. Assuming we're not the last stake to do so, I would think a far greater load is soon to come.

Return to “Calendar”