Calendar No Longer Works on Android Browser

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
vlott
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by vlott »

The calendar actually has not been tested on Android (only on iOS) but in this case it does appear to be device-specific since other Android users are having success using it.

P.S. - For scrolling on these devices, have you tried the 2-finger swipe. Most mobile users don't seem to be aware that that's the webkit/mobile idiom for a nested scroll event.
LDS.org Local Unit Apps Team Lead
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

vlott wrote:The calendar actually has not been tested on Android (only on iOS) but in this case it does appear to be device-specific since other Android users are having success using it.
But it seems to cover a wide range of Android devices:
Photon 4G
Motorola Droid 1
Droid 2 (but using the CM7 ROM works)
Droid Bionic
HTC Droid Incredible
Samsung Captivate
webOS (pre or Touchpad).
Nook Color
Nook Tablet
Samsung Charge

Switching to the Opera browser seems to fix it, but shouldn't be necessary. So it seems to be more of browser then a device issue.

The problem seems to be with the "Uncaught illegal access" in jquery.min.js:16 reported in post #36.

I would hope at some point in the near future that it can be made to work on Android devices, as the leaders will want to update the calendar while in meetings at church. While an app would be nice, it seems like making the web page work for the browser would take less effort.

vlott wrote:P.S. - For scrolling on these devices, have you tried the 2-finger swipe. Most mobile users don't seem to be aware that that's the webkit/mobile idiom for a nested scroll event.

Good tip for those that it does work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BRitzman

Another device with blue screen calendar

Post by BRitzman »

I also get the blue screen when trying to access the calendar. I am using a Motorola Droid 3 on Verizon 3G, Android version 2.3.4, default browser. Everything seems to work except the calendar.
peterhenderson

Post by peterhenderson »

I have a Droid 3 on Verizon using Android 2.3.4 with the default browser 2.3.4. I also get the error
in the JavaScript console via about:debug.

Using Fiddler [1], I replaced jquery.min.js with the un-minified version from http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.5.1.js. This time, the error is on line 869, which appears to be the catch block in the deferred.resolveWith function inside jquery._Deferred.

Again using Fiddler, I replaced jquery.min.js with http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.5.2.js and got a new error:
which appears to be the line
value = JSON.parse(localStorage.getItem(item));
in the getLocalStorageItem() function. I think this indicates that the first error is with jQuery 1.5.1 and is fixed in 1.5.2, but then execution progresses to reveal a second error behind the first. I don't know much about HTML5 local storage, so I can't debug any further for now.

I also tried this in the Android emulator with version 2.3.3 (because I can't find a way to emulate 2.3.4 in the emulator). I was not able to reproduce this issue in the emulator.

[1] Fiddler: http://www.fiddler2.com/. Fiddler is a debugging proxy program that lets you inspect and modify HTTP and HTTPS requests.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

Thanks for the great debugging info. We are continuing to chew on this, but do not yet have a fix. We'll keep checking back to see if anyone can add more insight.
pete.arnett

Post by pete.arnett »

Tested with lds.org/Tools on the Amazon Kindle Fire's 6.2 (Android based) 'Silk' Browser with Amazon’s EC2 cloud computing cluster
Calendar - works
Directory - works
Maps - works (make sure "Load images" is enabled)
speedtest.lds.org (only speed test worked becasue Java not Detected, and you must turn off "Accelerate page loading")
speedtest.net - (you must turn off "Accelerate page loading")
Thanks,
:cool:Your Fellow Member,
Pete Arnett
Sunny South Florida, USA
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

Just picked up a Verizon Nexus Galaxy today. Calendar displays fine on it.
pquilter

Calendar shows blue screen on Samsung Galaxy S2 Sprint

Post by pquilter »

I am having the same issue using the Galaxy S2 from Sprint. Everything works fine except the calendar, it shows a blue screen.
jeffg1969

Post by jeffg1969 »

I am also using the Galaxy S2 from Sprint (aka epic 4g touch). I got mine to work by downloading the opera browser!!. (Yes I got the discouraging navy blue blank screen also with the default browser that comes with the phone)

try it and see... it works!

i wish they'd come out with an android app for the calendar... but until they do we'll just have to pinch in and out w/the browser
jasonhyer

Another option for calendar on Android devices

Post by jasonhyer »

Since LDS Tools for Android does not yet support the calendar, the option that I am using and I have recommended to users of the app that ask about the calendar is to sync the lds.org calendar with a google calendar.

The calendar has the ability to sync with any google calendar so if you sync the calendar with the google calendar that is linked to the account you signed on your android device with, you can see the calendar in your device's calendar.

Note that it does have the limitation of not being able to differentiate the particular LDS calendar that the item belongs to (lds.org does it by color), and you are stuck seeing the calendars that you subscribed to when you synced with the google calendar. Despite those drawbacks, I can see the lds.org calendar for my ward and stake and it works pretty well for me.
Jason Hyer

Return to “Calendar”