Outlook sync

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
gshosford

Outlook sync

Post by gshosford »

I am trying to sync the new calendar with Outlook. I follow the instructions for synchronizing w/Outlook but received the following error message:

The webpage cannot be displayed

Most likely cause:
Some content or files on this webpage require a program that you don't have installed.

After fumbling around I learned that the webcals protocol is not associated with any programs on my computer. (Thanks to Firefox, IE did not let me know the real issue.)

Question 1. How does one associate the webcals protocol with Outlook? (The information I have been able to find does not seem applicable to LDS calendars.)

Question 2. What versions of Outlook are required to sync with webcals?

Question 3. If specific versions of Outlook are required to sync with webcals, why doesn't the LDS Calendar Export page state that up front?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

gshosford wrote:Question 2. What versions of Outlook are required to sync with webcals?
I found this page which describes what programs support WebCals. It states: "Outlook 2003 requires plugins. Newer versions work without modifications."
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gshosford

Post by gshosford »

Russell,

Thank you for the response. I was hoping to postpone the inevitable a bit longer and not have to upgrade from the Outlook 2002 bundled in Office XP. I searched for a while to find a plugin or set of plugins for Outlook 2002, but did not find anything solid, so I took the plunge. I was able to do the sync. However, IE 7 would not make the connection. Firefox was able to make the connection required to synchronize. You are probably already aware of that situation, but I passed it on because it is better to have something and not need it than to need it and not have it.

To avoid others encountering the same frustrations as I did, it might be well to specify the requirements for synchronizing the calendars on the page with the URLs for synchronizing the LUWS calendars.

Thank you again for your help.

Return to “Calendar”