Building Scheduling

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

kisaac wrote:I'm in favor of a "pre-scheduling" rotation period for the wards, then by a certain date all unscheduled days become free to all.
This is what we do for the Friday/Saturday weekends. A general rotation is established for the year while the units (we have 4) are working out their calendars. Once they have all agreed that the annual round of scheduling is done, the rest of the dates are released to a first-come, first-served basis. After that, the normal negotiation and trading follows if someone really desires to make a change.
ShariCarnahan

Post by ShariCarnahan »

I am the building scheduler for a building that is shared by 3 wards, one of which is not in the same stake as the other two. The building has been traded off between the two stakes over the years.

We do have a set schedule for the building (Tuesday, Friday, and Saturdays are assigned to certain wards, Wednesdays are shared and the rooms rotate on a yearly basis) that I then run the negotiations for resolving potential conflicts. As we move into the new year I am hoping that I can get the calendar more friendly for the two wards in our stake. Resources weren't setup properly in last year's calendar, so I just kept the building schedule in a stake calendar for the building (no resources attached).

The ward outside our stake is always at a loss for being able to see what the building schedule is like, it would be nice to be able to publish the schedule to an open calendar (google or otherwise) so they can see what resources are available.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sharicarnahan wrote:The ward outside our stake is always at a loss for being able to see what the building schedule is like, it would be nice to be able to publish the schedule to an open calendar (google or otherwise) so they can see what resources are available.

You may wish to read Managing Locations and Resource Shared By Two Stakes. While they can't see the events directly, they can see what has been scheduled for the building.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
natet

Post by natet »

One request I've had from my building schedulers is to have a building calendar that is visible to the members. The reason for this is to aid leaders in scheduling events. Right now, they would pick a day/time and resource, then check to see if the building is available. However, it would be nice for them to be able to look at a calendar of all the events scheduled in the building to give them a better idea of the dates and times that could work and then let them plan the event accordingly. A master calendar of sorts would make it easier for the building schedulers to handle one off events like weddings and such that get called in to them. I'm not sure if the calendar system has such a best. I know that building schedulers can select the building from the subscribed locations section, but it would be nice of others could get that comprehensive view as well.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

natet wrote:I know that building schedulers can select the building from the subscribed locations section, but it would be nice of others could get that comprehensive view as well.

Everyone who can schedule an event already has the ability to select a building from the Subscribed Locations panel and see all the events scheduled for the building (this capability is not restricted to building schedulers). So your wish has been granted!
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

natet wrote:A master calendar of sorts would make it easier for the building schedulers to handle one off events like weddings and such that get called in to them.
The new calendar can handle this. The scheduler just needs to create a calendar (appropriately named) for these type of events. Any member of the ward can view this calendar (as long as it is not made private - which I do not recommend). Any member in the stake with editing rights can view the events with resources at that location. This would include those events on this calendar created by the building scheduler.

Many people calling in these private events to be scheduled through the building scheduler will not be able to see in advance whether resources are available unless they have edit rights to any calendar. That is not ideal. When the request is called in, the building scheduler can check the calendar while on the phone. Using e-mail may require some additional communication.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
natet

Post by natet »

jdlessley wrote:Many people calling in these private events to be scheduled through the building scheduler will not be able to see in advance whether resources are available unless they have edit rights to any calendar. That is not ideal. When the request is called in, the building scheduler can check the calendar while on the phone. Using e-mail may require some additional communication.
Yeah, that was my thought as well, but I suppose it's still better than what some of our wards are currently doing.

Return to “Calendar”