Sorry... data not available (error!)

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
elesel

Post by elesel »

mandjreid wrote:only for the months September and December 2011.

I hadn't thought about this before, but I also can't load Sep 2011, Dec 2011, or Dec 2012. For some reason, Oct-Nov 2011 and Jan-Nov 2012 work fine!

Oh, and the sync URL (iCal, Outlook, etc.) fails with the same 500 error.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mandjreid wrote:(I haven't tried synching from those months to Outlook or iCal).

Well, now there's an idea. Some have been able to narrow it down by switching to week view. If you export to a iCal file, you can see what events are in that week.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
elesel

Post by elesel »

I narrowed the error down to even a couple hours (9/6/2011 23:31-9/7/2011 02:48), but I don't have anything on the calendar during that time. Also, my iCal URL returns a 500 error as well. I would guess others would have the same problem.
mandjreid

Post by mandjreid »

Flipping to Week view I've narrowed my problem to two weeks in September (11th - 24th) and the last week of December (25th-31st).

I tried a synch to Outlook, but it gets an error, so I can't get more into what might be causing a problem on those weeks.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

I get the error for september, but in month view.
Saw it on the stake computer as well-frustrating.
firefox 6.0.2
bjcoleman

Post by bjcoleman »

The date of the error appears to be different for various users. My calendar is fine until next week. That's when everything goes haywire. I also tried to sync with Stake Central (Android) to no avail.

Really puts us in a bind. I've got a bunch of appointments for the Bishop set up tomorrow but neither of us can see them (private calendar between the two of us and his calendar is returning the same error).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kyleq wrote:For those that have not seen the error could you try the steps I've listed above? Perhaps start selecting items in the locations list one at a time until they are all selected or you've reproduced the error.

I was just about to post I had tried your steps, and many variations of those steps, but nothing I tried reproduces the problem. But then I finally reproduced it.

It's interesting that the only situation in which I can reproduce it is:
  1. Week view for May 27-June 2, 2012.
  2. Two buildings selected: the stake center and one of the other buildings. It doesn't matter which of the other Subscribed Locations check boxes are checked or unchecked; but for this particular scenario, those two locations must be checked.
    • One of the events at the stake center I would not see, except for the fact that I've checked the stake center box (it was scheduled by another ward).
    • Only one event at the other building appears when I check the box for that location. It happens to be on my ward calendar, but is not a calendar I subscribe to. No events appear for that building for the week in question if the location box is not checked.
  3. It doesn't matter which calendars in the Subscribed Calendars list are checked; the problem occurs even if none of the calendars are checked.
  4. It doesn't matter how I arrive at these conditions; the error occurs when I navigate to that week with those two locations checked, or when I am on that week and check either box such that both boxes are then checked.
  5. One interesting thing is that this date is out in the future, so only there aren't many events. The only events shown are:
    • A repeating event 9am-1pm every Tuesday and Friday.
    • An all day event on that particular Saturday (which is a monthly repeating event)
    • A repeating event on Wednesday evening 6-8pm, using a single custom resource.
    • A non-repeating event (the only non-repeating event in this entire scenario) that uses a different (standard) resource on Wednesday evening, but overlaps the time, so it is displayed side-by-side with the previous event.
    • All the previous events are at the stake center. The one event at the other building is a repeating event 9am-11:am at that building.
  6. Although there are plenty of similar weeks, it doesn't happen often. It happens on:
    • April 22-28, which is similar to the above, but doesn't have the all day event.
    • March 25-31, which is very similar to April 22-28
    • Feb 26-Mar 3, which is very similar to the first scenario
    • Jan 22-28, which is similar to April 22-28.
  7. So it appears that the one non-repeating event is an essential element, as is the event in the other building earlier on the same day.
  8. I'll try to narrow it down further, but thought I'd at least post these details, in case it sparks any thoughts.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

To follow up on my previous post, I've learned some more things:
  1. I can indeed reproduce it on month view and week view. It seems that any month that has the right combination of events will have the problem, just like any week with the right combination of events will.
  2. I narrowed it down to only two events:
  3. one is a repeating event for the non-stake center building for a calendar I am not subscribed to
  4. The other is a non-repeating event for the stake center; it is also for a calendar I am not subscribed to.
  5. If I edit the repeating event in any way (this instance only, so that it becomes an exception), the problem goes away.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
bjcoleman

Post by bjcoleman »

I sent feedback on LDS.org. Here is the response I received back:

"Thank you for your comment. Other visitors to LDS.org have had similar comments. This item is currently under study and correction. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
By working together, we can improve the Church website and make it a pleasant experience for all who visit."

The problem is worse that I initially thought. The entire Bishopric in our ward is now experiencing the issue. The problem is cropping up in Oct and Dec and then multiple months in 2012. Our set-up is pretty simple. One stake for all of our building resources. As mentioned earlier - this happens even when there are no subscribed calendars and no subscribed locations.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bjcoleman wrote:As mentioned earlier - this happens even when there are no subscribed calendars and no subscribed locations.
If you don't check any of the subscribed calendars, and none of the subscribed locations, then you will see zero events on the calendar display. When people have said that it didn't matter what was selected, I didn't think they actually made sure that every single subscribed calendar and subscribed location check box was cleared.

In my testing, it was definitely related to a couple of events; if either of those were hidden, the problem did not occur. That clearly points to particular calendar data and how it is displayed. But if you have problems with no events displayed, that would seem to point to a different kind of problem.

Return to “Calendar”