Sorry... data not available (error!)

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
elesel

Post by elesel »

bjcoleman wrote:Temporary work around is not working for me (if I understood the suggestion).

You don't need to uncheck the calendars, you need to unsubscribe (under options menu at right) from them. Everything immediately started working for me when I unsubscribed from all calendars, although I had nothing to look at. Adding them back in one by one (unsubscribe, then return to calendar view) led me to find the culprit. Just unchecking them doesn't get around the error.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

elesel wrote:Just unchecking them doesn't get around the error.

Well, simply unchecking a combination of calendars or locations has gotten around the error every time for me. But it's good to have an additional technique that works for some people. Clearly, this is an elusive bug that has been quite difficult to narrow down.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bjcoleman wrote:Maybe I'm in the same boat as RussellHltn - it must be a combination of calendars.

Just to be clear, for me it's not a combination of calendars, but subscribed locations that does it.

You've unchecked all the calendars AND the subscribed locations and still get an error?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mcgregorj

Post by mcgregorj »

Using "select subscriptions" in the Options menu, then unsubscribing from all calendars and then systematically adding calendars one at a time I was able to identify the calendar (happens to be our stake calendar) that throws the "data not available" error.

I second the notion that simply unchecking the boxes to the right does not provide a workaround. I'm guessing those boxes simply hide and show the calendars you've subscribed to. You have to go into options to actually add and remove subscriptions. It's working fine for me now... But I can't see the stake calendar. If somebody comes up with a final resolution, please let us know.
josephcreed

Post by josephcreed »

As I read through this post and based on the experience our Stake is having, here are some common points.

The issue cropped up between Sept. 20th and Sept. 22nd.
The issue most often affects the "Stake" calendar.
Many users have posted that the issue affects the months Oct., Nov., Dec.

This is the body of an email I sent to our SES.
This is the testing I have performed with Internet Explorer 8. (I will have to test other browsers later.) I am attaching the error that I get.
I subscribed to the "Stake" calendar. I recieved an error on the following months.

January 2011
February 2011
April 2011
May 2011
October 2011
November 2011
December 2011

I changed my view from "Month" to "Week." I received an error on the following weeks and most of them would not load.

Jan 2 - 8 (one error, but it loaded anyway)
Jan 16 - 22 (one error)
Jan 23 - 29 (one error)
Jan 30 - Feb 5 (one error)
Feb 6 - 12 (one error, but it loaded anyway)
Apr 3 - 9 (two errors)
Apr 10-16 (one error)
Apr 24 - 30 (one error)
May 1 - 7 (two errors)
May 8 - 14 (one error)
Oct 2 - 11 (one error, but it loaded anyway)
Oct 23 - 29 (one error)
Oct 30 - Nov 5 (one error)
Nov 6 - 12 (two errors)
Nov 20 - 26 (one error)
Nov 27 - Dec 3 (one error)
Dec 4 - 10 (two errors)
Dec 11 - 17 (one error)
Dec 18 - 24 (one error)
Dec 25 - 31 (one error)

I un-subscribed from the "Stake" calendar and re-checked the above weeks. Here are the weeks that still posted errors.

Dec 4 - 10 (one error, but it loaded anyway)
Dec 25 - 31 (one error)

I un-subcribed from the ward calendar named "Primary" and the former two weeks no longer presented an error.

I re-subscribed to the "Stake" calendar and re-tested the former two weeks and got errors.

Dec 4 - 10 (two errors)
Dec 25 - 31 (one error)

With that information, I am lead to believe that there is an event on the "Stake" calendar during each of the weeks listed first that have something triggering the error. The weeks that pop the error, but still load seem to be the first week selected in a month that has errors. The weeks that pop two errors seem to be the weeks that have errors and be the first week selected in a month that has errors.

Now, that we know what weeks are erroring out. The next step is to figure out which events are generating the error, that may prove to be tricky since we can't get to them. Then find out why. Then apply changes to resolve the error.

I am curious if the results would be the similar if the same tests were performed from a different ward or user.

I will report my findings to the forum and see if anyone has other ideas.

I will keep you posted.
The error also appears when I check the subscribed location "Events without Locations."

I subscribed to the two calendars that are presenting the error, and tried to download the .csv to see if the issue was related to the presentation of the data on the webpage, but I got the 500 error, that has been previously reported. My thought was that there may be some unique character that is triggering the issue, like a single quote/apostraphe ('), or double quote("), etc... so we can give the development team something specific to look for.

The only way for me to get by the error is to not subscribed to the "Stake" calendar, or the "Primary" calendar. This isn't really a workaround, as there is no way for me to get that data electronically. Yes, I know there was life before electronics and we will survive.

I hope the development team is able to find the issue soon and resolve it quickly.
RichPhillips

Data not available error

Post by RichPhillips »

The calendar for Peachtree City, GA ward has had this problem on the September monthly view for about a week. Fortunately, the week and day views are OK. But need to have it fixed.
bjcoleman

Post by bjcoleman »

RussellHltn wrote:Just to be clear, for me it's not a combination of calendars, but subscribed locations that does it.

You've unchecked all the calendars AND the subscribed locations and still get an error?
Yes. I never have subscribed locations selected as an option.

I will try to remove all of the calendars and then manually add them back in (vs using the checkboxes). Hopefully that will narrow down the problem calendar.

EDIT:

Manually removed all calendars until I got down to just one. Same error. To confirm that that it wasn't that one calendar I removed that last one added one other random calendar. Same problem. I didn't see an option to remove Locations so all I can do there is keep those options unchecked.

So right now, my view shows only one calendar (in this case Primary), with Primary checked. I have 4 subscribed locations - all unchecked. Still get the same error.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

Can anyone confirm whether the time period that is causing the error message contains the last instance of a repeating event? We've found and are fixing an issue where the final instance of certain repeating events (especially those created by an .ical import) may cause this error.

Thanks to all for the great amount of detail you have included in this thread so far. We are working hard to find out what we broke...

Additionally, if anyone who can regularly recreate this problem can PM me with their unit no. and the time range where they see the issue, it would be helpful.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdcr256 wrote:Can anyone confirm whether the time period that is causing the error message contains the last instance of a repeating event? We've found and are fixing an issue where the final instance of certain repeating events (especially those created by an .ical import) may cause this error.

The combination I have been able to use to reliably reproduce the problem does not involve the last instance of a repeating event. It does include a repeating event, but every instance of it that happens to hit another particular non-repeating event causes the error.

I'll PM you my details.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mhicken

Post by mhicken »

I narrowed most of the problems down to our "Stake General Information" calendar. That cleared up September but when I move to December, I get a totally different error message, "There was a problem authenticating your request. Please contact the Global Services Help Desk." I narrowed that one down to our "Stake Single Adults" calendar. It's appears to me that these issues are only happening on the stake calendars. The work around for now of "unsubscribing" to them via "Options > Select Subscriptions" does work for us.

Return to “Calendar”