Scheduling shared YSA buildings

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
TinMan

Scheduling shared YSA buildings

Post by TinMan »

One thing that is going to need to be addressed is out of unit units having access.

With the whole new YSA ward/stake things, we are going to have a YSA ward that meets in our building but is part of the YSA Stake, not our stake. How are they going to schedule resources in our building when they don't have access to the calendar?

It was hard enough to get them to schedule things properly when they were part of our Stake. Now there is going to be no incentive for them to do so. We are probably going to need to go back to the old system where the agent building scheduler schedules things manually for them.

1 step forward, 2 steps back...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

TinMan wrote:With the whole new YSA ward/stake things, we are going to have a YSA ward that meets in our building but is part of the YSA Stake, not our stake. How are they going to schedule resources in our building when they don't have access to the calendar?

Why do you assume that they won't be able to schedule resources? There is already a provision for this: see Manage Locations or Resources Shared By Two Stakes.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:Why do you assume that they won't be able to schedule resources?

I don't think it's a "dual stake" issue as much as the YSA unit's leaders will all be "out of unit". Unless something has changed, they won't have functional access to the new calendar.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

aebrown wrote:Why do you assume that they won't be able to schedule resources? There is already a provision for this: see Manage Locations or Resources Shared By Two Stakes.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that the new YSA stake that has 10 wards meeting in 10 different buildings in possibly 10 different stakes will have access to the calendars of all 10 of those buildings, as well as being able to schedule stake events in all 10 of those buildings?

Is it the Stake that will have the access, or will each individual ward and all of its officers have access to the calendar of the building they meet in, or both?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

TinMan wrote:I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that the new YSA stake that has 10 wards meeting in 10 different buildings in possibly 10 different stakes will have access to the calendars of all 10 of those buildings, as well as being able to schedule stake events in all 10 of those buildings?

Is it the Stake that will have the access, or will each individual ward and all of its officers have access to the calendar of the building they meet in, or both?
The agent stake (typically the stake containing the resident ward) manages the building's resources, meaning that only that stake can designate what resources are in that building. But the external ward (meaning the YSA ward that also is assigned to that building) can schedule events in that building using those resources, seeing conflicts, and also reserving resources so that the agent stake will not be able to schedule on top of their events.

It seems clear to me that this documentation is saying that the external ward and its stake will be able to schedule that building. So if a YSA stake has wards located in 10 different buildings in 10 different stakes, then yes, that stake will be able to see 10 different buildings' calendars. However, I would assume that this visibility is similar to that of wards within a stake for the calendars of other wards in their buildings -- they can't actually see the calendars themselves, but rather just the events that schedule resources for the shared building.

All this depends on "the external stake's meetinghouse [being] entered into the Facilities Management database"; I would guess that it will take a bit of time for all these changes in building assignments to be entered in that database and become effective.

NOTE: I moved this topic to a new thread in the Calendar forum from the original thread What is the anticipated road map for removal of LUWS.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

Thanks. That will be interesting.

I wouldn't want the stake job of monitoring 10 buildings. 3 or 4 is bad enough... :)
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

TinMan wrote:Thanks. That will be interesting.

I wouldn't want the stake job of monitoring 10 buildings. 3 or 4 is bad enough... :)

Personally, I'd rather be in a stake with ten different buildings for ten different units. Just sayin' :)
iamamoebaman

how do you see the external resource?

Post by iamamoebaman »

I'm trying to verify that I can view an external stake bldg and reserve a resource. In the pull-down list of resources, I only see things for my stake, not the neighbor stake. why is that?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

iamamoebaman wrote:I'm trying to verify that I can view an external stake bldg and reserve a resource. In the pull-down list of resources, I only see things for my stake, not the neighbor stake. why is that?
As mentioned in Manage Locations or Resources Shared By Two Stakes and other places in the documentation, there are several conditions:
  • The building has to be shared by more than one stake
  • The building must be entered properly in the Facilities Management database
  • The stake must set up the shared building as a location
  • That location must be set up to allow scheduling
Have you verified that all these steps have been followed?

Also, you mentioned the "pull-down list of resources." Do you really mean "locations"? It's locations that correspond to buildings; resources are rooms or other items within a location. If everything is set up properly, you should see all locations that your stake uses (meaning buildings for which your stake has one or more wards in), even if your stake is not the agent stake for one or more of those buildings.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

iamamoebaman wrote:I'm trying to verify that I can view an external stake bldg and reserve a resource. In the pull-down list of resources, I only see things for my stake, not the neighbor stake. why is that?
You didn't mention whether there was a unit of your stake sharing a location in the external stake. I will assume that is the case. The first thing I would check is to see if the location is listed in the "Subscribed Locations" section of the calendar page. If it is not there it will not be available for selection in the Location dropdown listbox of the "Event Details" popup.

The ability to see the location is dependent on the location building being being entered into the Facilities Management database as well as the external stake setting up the location for scheduling use. Two options that must be selected for the location to be available not only for an external stake but for their own units are "This location is approved for use by all stake and ward calendars" and "Allow new events to be scheduled at this location".

You may need to contact an external stake approver to see if the location is properly set up and contact the FM manager to see if the location is entered into the Facilities Management database. If the external stake entered the location at the Manage Locations and Resources option because it did not show up as a default location, then the location was most likely not in the database.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Calendar”