Need for a Building scheduler??

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
porterjl

Need for a Building scheduler??

Post by porterjl »

I am feeling like i don't need building schedulers with the new calendar, since the submitter can list the location and the resource. What do you see as the need for the building scheduler?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

porterjl wrote:I am feeling like i don't need building schedulers with the new calendar, since the submitter can list the location and the resource. What do you see as the need for the building scheduler?
The role of building scheduler is quite different from what it was on the classic LUWS calendar, or other systems that may have been used in the past. There is no need to have someone who keeps the master calendar and approves or denies all requests for the building.

However, I wouldn't go so far as to say that a building scheduler is no longer needed. There is a good description of the role in the Calendar help system under Building Schedulers. The key roles are:
  1. Make sure that the resources are correct for the building.
  2. Manage assignments (blocks of time when only one particular ward can schedule a resource).
  3. Adjust scheduled events to have the correct resources.
  4. Work out conflicts.
Of course, a stake-level calendar approver could fill most of these roles, but it is helpful to have someone who actually attends church in the building to take on these roles.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What about scheduling private events such as weddings, birthday partys, etc? Someone is needed to be a point of contact with the ability to enter those in the designated resource calendar.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:What about scheduling private events such as weddings, birthday partys, etc? Someone is needed to be a point of contact with the ability to enter those in the designated resource calendar.
Any ward calendar editor could do this via a ward calendar, but there are some benefits in having a building-oriented calendar for such events.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
maybd

Post by maybd »

We've used our coordinators quite a bit since we've switched to the new system. We have taken advantage of reserving days (or times of day) for each of our wards in their buildings. If someone from the stake or another ward attempts to schedule an event during those time, they get an error message that directs them to contact the appropriate scheduler. This is really in our stake center that houses 4 wards and many of our stake activities.
tomjohnson1492

Post by tomjohnson1492 »

It's interesting to see this perspective. It seems there are both extremes when it comes to the building scheduler. Some wards would prefer that all events be scheduled through the building scheduler. Others feel the role is superfluous. I suppose it depends on your ward's dynamics and past scheduling methods.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

tomjohnson1492 wrote:Some wards would prefer that all events be scheduled through the building scheduler. Others feel the role is superfluous.
It's fine when things go well, but it really helps to have a designated person in authority to make decisions when something like a funeral disrupts other scheduled activities and some rather hasty reshuffling of resources is required.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mawhiteley

Post by mawhiteley »

porterjl wrote:I am feeling like i don't need building schedulers with the new calendar, since the submitter can list the location and the resource. What do you see as the need for the building scheduler?

Perhaps I'm missing something too. Even though I reserve resources on the building resource calendar, the ward calendar does not show these events. No sync! I'm having to create the event twice, once on the building resource and another on the ward. In theory, another member will get a conflict when they try to create an overlapping event, but there is no resource reservation viewable to them so they can see what's open. Do I have our system configured wrong? It seems silly.

Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mawhiteley wrote:Perhaps I'm missing something too. Even though I reserve resources on the building resource calendar, the ward calendar does not show these events. No sync!

If you're talking about the Classic LUWS calendar, you're right, there is no sync.

If you're talking about the new calendar, then I'd suggest placing the event on the ward calendar and then reserving those resources you need.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

mawhiteley

Post by mawhiteley »

RussellHltn wrote:If you're talking about the Classic LUWS calendar, you're right, there is no sync.

If you're talking about the new calendar, then I'd suggest placing the event on the ward calendar and then reserving those resources you need.
Yes, the new calendar. I'm the building schedular for 2 wards. The event is on the ward calendar with resources reserved. But then there is also a Building Resource calendar that is not sync'd (either direction). I'm creating two events: 1) on my ward calendar, and 2) in the building resource calendar so the other ward gets conflict warnings (albeit no resource availability prior to them *trying* to schedule something).

Something doesn't seem correct/efficient in this new calendar tool.

Return to “Calendar”