Calendar events don't appear when synced to Google calendar

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
juanjflores

Calendar events don't appear when synced to Google calendar

Post by juanjflores »

i'm having an issue when syncing the stk calendar with my google calendar. i follow all the steps outlined in the instructions but the events won't appear on my Google calendar.
juanjflores

Post by juanjflores »

well, i did some browsing thru the forum (which i should have done to begin with) & found that this is a common issue with gCal. so, i'll keep checking back to see if there has been a fix for this.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

juanjflores wrote:well, i did some browsing thru the forum (which i should have done to begin with) & found that this is a common issue with gCal. so, i'll keep checking back to see if there has been a fix for this.

Although there is no permanent fix available yet, just about everyone who tries the Workaround to fix calendar sync problems is able to get sync working with Google Calendar. So you might give that a try.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
srweight

Post by srweight »

I have never (that I can remember) had a problem syncing to Google Calendar in Google Chrome but a Bishop and his Exc Sec both can't get LDS Cal to sync in Chrome, Foxfire, or IE. They are in a YSA ward and therefore are "out-of-unit" members of the ward. I'm guessing that the sync function can't decide if the ward to sync is their home ward or the YSA ward and they get a error "can't access the URL" or something like that.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

srweight wrote:I have never (that I can remember) had a problem syncing to Google Calendar in Google Chrome but a Bishop and his Exc Sec both can't get LDS Cal to sync in Chrome, Foxfire, or IE. They are in a YSA ward and therefore are "out-of-unit" members of the ward. I'm guessing that the sync function can't decide if the ward to sync is their home ward or the YSA ward and they get a error "can't access the URL" or something like that.
Well, you are one of the few lucky ones. Although the leaders you mention might possibly have some problems because of their position in a YSA ward, it's much more likely that they are simply having the typical problem of not being able to sync the LDS calendar with Google Calendar. In my observation, hardly anyone gets that to work right now.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
srweight

Post by srweight »

I copied my LDS.or calendar URL and added it in the bishop's Google Calendar and it worked just like it was my Google Calendar. I didn't do his in mine and I should have.
juanjflores

Post by juanjflores »

srweight wrote:I copied my LDS.or calendar URL and added it in the bishop's Google Calendar and it worked just like it was my Google Calendar. I didn't do his in mine and I should have.
i've tried doing that as well but nothing seems to work (granted i haven't tried it again since i've made this post). i tried to sync the calendars using my phone (android), a work computer (windows) & my personal computer (mac) with no luck. i've tried using the stock web browser on the phone, firefox, ie, & safari but it has never worked.

i'll try it again to see if this issue might have been resolved. i really need this to work because i'm the type of person that likes to carry the minimum items necessary. i don't like having a bunch of stuff in my binders @ meetings.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

juanjflores wrote:i tried to sync the calendars using my phone (android), a work computer (windows) & my personal computer (mac) with no luck. i've tried using the stock web browser on the phone, firefox, ie, & safari but it has never worked.

You mentioned several things you tried, but you did not mention whether you had tried the workaround that I specifically suggested in my first response to you. Have you tried that yet?
juanjflores

Post by juanjflores »

aebrown wrote:You mentioned several things you tried, but you did not mention whether you had tried the workaround that I specifically suggested in my first response to you. Have you tried that yet?
i honestly did not understand what the post said....

ok. so i did more careful reading about this workaround & it actually worked!!! the calendar synced perfectly :)great tip! the calendar synced within seconds :)

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

juanjflores wrote:i honestly did not understand what the post said....
To use the workaround, you do the following:
  1. In the new calendar, go to Options > Sync.
  2. Note the 19-digit number that is at the end of each of the URLs displayed on that page. I'll use 123456 as an example here, but use your own number.
  3. In Google Calendar, under "Other Calendars" on the left-hand side, there is an Add link/dropdown. Click on that and then choose "Add by URL"
  4. In the URL box, enter https://mail.liddicott.com/ldscalendar.php/123456 (replacing 123456 with your 19-digit number)
  5. Click the "Add Calendar" button.

Return to “Calendar”