Two Key Calendar Problems.

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jwnrw

Two Key Calendar Problems.

Post by jwnrw »

We have noticed several major issues with the new calendar, but the following issues have become problematic for us.

1. No matter how much detail the calendar editor enters in the description section of the events, that individual members only are able to view the first three lines of the description.
  2. When reserving specific resources for an event, after it has been saved, and if you go back to check out the reservations, it has defaulted to the entire site. This seems to be the case for all
Anyone found a work-around for these yet?

JWWagner
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jwnrw wrote:No matter how much detail the calendar editor enters in the description section of the events, that individual members only are able to view the first three lines of the description.

This was a significant problem, but I think it was recently fixed. There is a scroll bar on the description field so that you can see the entire description.
jwnrw wrote:When reserving specific resources for an event, after it has been saved, and if you go back to check out the reservations, it has defaulted to the entire site. This seems to be the case for all

This one is annoying, but doesn't limit what you can do. The event is actually properly saved with the specific resources you chose. You can verify this by having someone without editing permissions look at the event -- they'll see the specific resources listed. Or you can begin the process of creating a conflicting event; when you check for conflicts, you'll see the specific resources listed on the event. So that proves that the specific resources are indeed stored in the database.

It's just that when you go back to edit it, it looks like it uses the entire location. If you save it again, you will indeed now be using the entire location, so be careful about saving such events after editing -- you have to specify the specific resources again.

I've reported this, and I really hope it gets fixed soon.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jwnrw

Post by jwnrw »

Thanks. I too have reported a number of issues with the new site -- and was told that the Church IT department doesn't use a trouble-ticket tracking system -- so in the end, there is no way of knowing what is getting fixed or upgraded, and what isn't.

The transition is brutally painful and the new system seems to somehow have missed that important UAT step in implementation.

Thanks again for the info.
JamesTPalmer

Post by JamesTPalmer »

aebrown wrote:This was a significant problem, but I think it was recently fixed. There is a scroll bar on the description field so that you can see the entire description.

I don't think it has been fixed yet. I just tried it today with a non-editing user. All fields are greyed out. The only button that works is the close button.

This is a huge problem for our ward that really wants move to all the great features of the new calendar. However, this is a deal breaker. Currently, the only solution we have come up with is to have the aux leaders enter all events in the new calendar to get all of the reminder capabilities, and the paste the details into the old calendar and have the "general membership" use that calendar. A very clunky work around at best.

Any idease?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jamestpalmer wrote:I don't think it has been fixed yet. I just tried it today with a non-editing user. All fields are greyed out. The only button that works is the close button.

This is a huge problem for our ward that really wants move to all the great features of the new calendar. However, this is a deal breaker. Currently, the only solution we have come up with is to have the aux leaders enter all events in the new calendar to get all of the reminder capabilities, and the paste the details into the old calendar and have the "general membership" use that calendar. A very clunky work around at best.

Any idease?
I just tested it and determined that the problem is now browser-specific. It works fine, as I described, on Firefox and Chrome, but the scroll bar is not accessible on Internet Explorer. So I would suggest that you report the IE problem using Submit Feedback on lds.org, but that in the meantime, you use a browser that works properly (if this feature is that important to you in the short term).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”