Building Scheduler add events for other wards

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
sstockfo

Building Scheduler add events for other wards

Post by sstockfo »

As building scheduler for a building with 3 wards, how do I add something to the calendar for a member of another ward than the one I below to?

For example, I am in 3rd ward, and a computer illiterate member from 4th ward calls to see if a resource is available on a certain date. Right now the only way that I know how to see if it is open is to create the event and check for conflicts, then I know if it is open. However at this point, I have to tell the 4th ward member to find a way to enter it in themself so that it shows up on their ward calendar.

It would be nice if I could add it right then.
sstockfo

How does building scheduler subscribe to calendars of other wards in building

Post by sstockfo »

I just figured out that I can post an event to other wards calendars, but it lets me know that I am not subscribed and therefore can not view it. How can I subscribe to it?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sstockfo wrote:As building scheduler for a building with 3 wards, how do I add something to the calendar for a member of another ward than the one I below to?

For example, I am in 3rd ward, and a computer illiterate member from 4th ward calls to see if a resource is available on a certain date. Right now the only way that I know how to see if it is open is to create the event and check for conflicts, then I know if it is open. However at this point, I have to tell the 4th ward member to find a way to enter it in themself so that it shows up on their ward calendar.
The first question I would have is why they are calling you. Of course, there is the obvious answer that years of practice have ingrained this habit of calling the building scheduler when you want to schedule something. But that's not the philosophy of the new calendar.

What organization is the requester in? What calendar should contain the desired event? Who in the ward is the editor for that calendar? With the philosophy of the new calendar, that's the direction the request should go. There's no need to call you at all.

But you obviously want to be helpful, so how do we kindly begin the process of changing this culture, without simply leaving the requester out in the cold because he didn't follow the correct procedure?

In our stake, we have had each ward designate a calendar coordinator. This is someone who will have calendar approver permissions so that they can see who all the editors are for the various calendars. Their job is to be aware of all the calendars, know who edits them, and train the editors and ward members how to use the new system. The building schedulers know who all the calendar coordinators are, and can refer a member of the ward to the appropriate coordinator, who can then either add the event or refer them to an editor of the appropriate calendar.
sstockfo wrote:It would be nice if I could add it right then.
I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think this is correct. How can you possibly have enough knowledge to add it correctly? Remember that with the new system, resource reservations are tied to events, and events exist on a calendar. With the new calendar system, wards will generally have several calendars. Are you going to know which calendar the event is supposed to be added to? Are you sure that the editor for that calendar is okay with this addition and that it is being made according to whatever standards the ward has put in place for scheduling events? Although your intentions are pure and kind, I think you run the risk of causing more harm than good by putting something on a ward's calendar. It's better for everyone concerned to redirect the request back to the ward, where it belongs.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sstockfo wrote:I just figured out that I can post an event to other wards calendars, but it lets me know that I am not subscribed and therefore can not view it. How can I subscribe to it?
You can only subscribe to calendars in your ward and your stake, but not calendars for other wards within your stake. However, as a building scheduler, there is a way to see the events for your building, regardless of what ward those events are in. See View Calendars of Other Wards.

I still don't think it's a good idea for you to post events to other wards' calendars, as I mentioned in my previous post in this thread.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

sstockfo wrote:As building scheduler for a building with 3 wards, how do I add something to the calendar for a member of another ward than the one I below to?
As Alan has stated you don't. Rather than becoming involved in scheduling the event for the member you should forward the request to the ward in question. It would not be atypical to have a building scheduler set apart by the stake who then assigns individual ward schedulers for the building. Those ward building schedulers should know who are the individual calendar editors or at least what organization the calendar belongs. The reservation request from the member should go to them.

As a building scheduler for a location for more than one unit you have to change gears in your approach to such requests. You will continue to get reservation requests by phone or e-mail until people are trained in the new culture of location and resource scheduling. You will have to redirect reservation requests and educate members as to the process. We know that not everyone will or can use technology to schedule events. There will be a continuing flow of reservation requests that must be directed in the correct direction.

A building scheduler can see if there are potential conflicts through the method described in the link View Calendars of Other Wards Alan provided. That will be about the best you can do besides directing them to a calendar editor.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
kisaac
Community Moderators

Changing years of thought may take some time....

Post by kisaac »

sstockfo wrote:how do I add something to the calendar for a member of another ward than the one I below to?
Welcome to the forum!

I agree wholeheartedly that changing years of how we schedule isn't going to happen overnight. And, as others here have pointed out, you really should not be adding things to another wards' calendar.

However, your problem remains.
The switch to the calendar may be quick for some wards, and VERY SLOW for others. My stake has not set a clear direction on the new calendar, or resource scheduling. It seems your stake/wards may be similar. It makes the switch much more difficult.

If you, the building scheduler, require your three wards to schedule their own events on the new calendar, how will a ward who has not adopted the new calendar reserve any resource? While you may wish you can "wag the dog" here, you have little power over a neighboring bishopric, and their technical abilities. Perhaps that is why they are calling you, the building scheduler.

Short and long term solutions are needed.

Long term
: Get everyone aware and using the new calendar stake-wide, each ward calling a calendar admin, and all building schedulers set-up by the stake, allotted their resources, and trained. (as aebrown suggests, quoted below.)

Short term- until everyone switches: While untried by me, this is what I am suggesting to my bishopric in our similar situation, and perhaps this may work:
  • Create your own private "building resource calendar" and put events such as you described on it. Make it a "private" stake calendar (but for your building only) if you want the other wards leadership or ward calendar admins to be able to view it. If it is a stake calendar, this would make it easier to "hand-off" to a scheduler called from another ward next year if you rotate your position. (This assumes your stake has people in place with the technical ability and/or desire to help you set up these tasks)
  • Those that use their own calendars in your three wards can then schedule resources as they are entered on their individual calendars, and anyone else can call you and you can put it right on YOUR resource calendar immediately, as you desired. In this way, all your building reservations are still using the new system, and you won't be switching between the cool calendar system for one ward that is set-up, and the free bank calendar on the wall for a ward that is not.

Let us know how your situation works out, as you may be the one to find the best solution!
aebrown wrote: In our stake, we have had each ward designate a calendar coordinator. This is someone who will have calendar approver permissions so that they can see who all the editors are for the various calendars. Their job is to be aware of all the calendars, know who edits them, and train the editors and ward members how to use the new system. The building schedulers know who all the calendar coordinators are, and can refer a member of the ward to the appropriate coordinator, who can then either add the event or refer them to an editor of the appropriate calendar.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kisaac wrote:Create your own private "building resource calendar" and put events such as you described on it. Make it a "private" stake calendar (but for your building only) if you want the other wards leadership or ward calendar admins to be able to view it. If it is a stake calendar, this would make it easier to "hand-off" to a scheduler called from another ward next year if you rotate your position. (This assumes your stake has people in place with the technical ability and/or desire to help you set up these tasks)
I agree with most of your advice, but unfortunately the above suggestion won't work, at least the way you describe. The problem is that calendars that have been designated as private do not allow any resource scheduling (at least that's the way it works now -- I hope it will change in the future). If you add an event to a private calendar, the only location option is "Other location". So for your suggestion of a separate building resource calendar to work, it has to be a public calendar. The basic idea still could work -- you just have to give this special public calendar a name that will scare people off, such as "For Building Scheduler Only."
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

aebrown wrote: The problem is that calendars that have been designated as private do not allow any resource scheduling (at least that's the way it works now -- I hope it will change in the future). If you add an event to a private calendar, the only location option is "Other location".
Thank you...Saved one step in our "trial and error" process- no private calendar. I can see this isn't a perfect solution.
aebrown wrote: you just have to give this special public calendar a name that will scare people off, such as "For Building Scheduler Only."
Or, "Sign-ups for Elders Quorum Service Committee." :)

Return to “Calendar”