old vs new calendars

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
rbrophy
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:26 pm

old vs new calendars

Postby rbrophy » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:34 pm

This is probably a softball question for the forum, but I'd appreciate any help.
Our stake decided it was easier to stick with the old calendar for 2011. Our ward is using the new calendar system. Does anyone know how to cascade the stake's old calendar to our calendar that is using the new software?

User avatar
kd7mha
Member
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Logan, Utah

Postby kd7mha » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:36 pm

From the "Classic" Stake calendar (shows only stake and churchwide events) export to ical the use that ical file to import the events back into a Ward level Stake calendar,you can the cleanup the events to your liking.
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6527
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:26 pm

kd7mha wrote:From the "Classic" Stake calendar (shows only stake and churchwide events) export to ical the use that ical file to import the events back into a Ward level Stake calendar,you can the cleanup the events to your liking.
While this is a solution, it is labor intensive and will be difficult to keep any changes to the classic stake calendar imported to the new ward calendar as changes appear. As the stake makes changes to their classic calendar a ward approver (soon to be called an administrator) must either import the newly updated classic stake calendar to the ward calendar or manually enter any changes that occur after the first import.

I would not want to be the person responsible for keeping the stake's classic calendar events up to date on the ward calendar. The Churchwide events may not change that much but the stake events could change daily.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:33 am

rbrophy wrote:This is probably a softball question for the forum, but I'd appreciate any help.
Our stake decided it was easier to stick with the old calendar for 2011. Our ward is using the new calendar system. Does anyone know how to cascade the stake's old calendar to our calendar that is using the new software?


In addition to the other points made, I would note that attempting to mix and match the two calendar systems also can create building scheduling issues. If your ward does not meet in the stake center, and the stake rarely if ever schedules events in your building, then that might not be much of an issue. But if your ward meets in the stake center, using two different systems to schedule the building sounds like a nightmare.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

crislapi
Senior Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: USA

Postby crislapi » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:39 pm

rbrophy wrote:This is probably a softball question for the forum, but I'd appreciate any help.
Our stake decided it was easier to stick with the old calendar for 2011. Our ward is using the new calendar system. Does anyone know how to cascade the stake's old calendar to our calendar that is using the new software?

Why not use the import wizard? You can select the events to import and select the calendar to put them in. I've only done this with the Stake calendar. I'm not sure if a ward would be able to import stake events, but hopefully if they show up on your calendar, you could.

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6527
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:31 pm

crislapi wrote:Why not use the import wizard? You can select the events to import and select the calendar to put them in. I've only done this with the Stake calendar. I'm not sure if a ward would be able to import stake events, but hopefully if they show up on your calendar, you could.

The import wizard was intended as a one time use solution to getting what already existed in the classic calendar into the new calendar. It is a solution to the tedious manual transfer of the classic calendar events into the new calendar. There is no linking between the classic calendar and new calendar. Therefore the new ward calendar(s) created from the stake's classic calendar would be no better than a printed copy of the stake calendar on the day the import wizard was run. Any future changes to the stake calendar would have to find their way into the ward calendar by human intervention as I described above.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

crislapi
Senior Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: USA

Postby crislapi » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:12 pm

jdlessley wrote:The import wizard was intended as a one time use solution to getting what already existed in the classic calendar into the new calendar. It is a solution to the tedious manual transfer of the classic calendar events into the new calendar. There is no linking between the classic calendar and new calendar. Therefore the new ward calendar(s) created from the stake's classic calendar would be no better than a printed copy of the stake calendar on the day the import wizard was run. Any future changes to the stake calendar would have to find their way into the ward calendar by human intervention as I described above.

It's definitely not for syncing, but you can run the import wizard at any time and as many times as you'd like. My stake is currently using both calendars so I will first create the item on the classic calendar and then use the import wizard to add it to the new church calendar. It's not perfect, but it's been a simple-enough solution so far. You don't have to import everything every time. I just select the new events and import them in. Yes it's manual, but it beats recreating everything.

kisaac
Community Moderators
Posts: 1170
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:04 am
Location: Utah, united states

Postby kisaac » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:09 pm

crislapi wrote:Why not use the import wizard?...I've only done this with the Stake calendar. I'm not sure if a ward would be able to import stake events...

Our ward also switched before our stake. However, they now maintain two calendars because of our ward. They are really using the new calendar with our ward only, and I think they are doing it to figure it out before rolling it out stake-wide. If you do it, realize:

1) You can't use the import wizard for stake events on a ward level. Your stake could do it, and create a stake calendar for you, if willing.
2) using the ical import/export may work, but will cause an updating nightmare that probably will take an amount of energy that will be un-sustainable for long. If your calendar becomes unreliable, it won't help you...especially for the small changes the stake may make at any time on their classic calendar that you will NEVER catch. (a small time change, for example: a meeting originally at 7:00 pm, changed to 7:30 at a future time)
3) The scheduling of your building, if shared with other wards, really is dependent on the other wards using the new calendar to function properly. Additionally, your stake must "allocate" resources to your building scheduler. Is your appointed "building scheduler" in your ward- if so, it may work independent of other wards. If not, you may find it won't work. We didn't use it at first because the other wards and stake were not using it. But, now they are asking questions and are saying maybe they will get on board.

tortdog
Member
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:00 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Postby tortdog » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:05 am

We did the iCal export/import and worked fine. Will just update as the year progresses and while it will be tedious, it beats maintaining two calendars. No way is our ward going back. We are hooked on the new.

djdinut1
New Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:48 am

Postby djdinut1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:35 am

Why are Churchwide Events not showing up on the new Calendar? I see my ward and stake events, but not Churchwide.


Return to “Calendar”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest