Migrate New Stake Events to New Ward Calendar

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jpjazz-p40

Migrate New Stake Events to New Ward Calendar

Post by jpjazz-p40 »

I would like to be able to copy stake events that only apply to our ward from the stake calendar into a ward calendar. Both the ward and stake calendars are in the new format. I have not been able to find any info on how to do this.
tomjohnson1492-p40

Post by tomjohnson1492-p40 »

I'm not sure I understand the question. Why would there be stake events that apply only to a single ward? When you say both ward and stake calendars are in the same format, are you referring to the old or new calendar? If you can give me some more detail, I can provide a better answer.

It's just a guess, but I don't think stake and ward events mix in the Calendar Setup Wizard. Stake admins will be able to migrate stake events; ward admins, ward events. So migrating a calendar from stake to ward domains might not be possible. I would need to verify this, though.
jpjazz-p40

Post by jpjazz-p40 »

Our stake calendar includes events such as monthly baptisms, temple events, and welfare assignments for all 9 units in our stake (these consume all the calendar space on on that given day). Other events such as Stake PEC and region events that do not apply to our ward members also clutter the calendar and make it difficult to read.

While the new layered profile works to an extent to filter out events from one org to another, more than 50% of the stake layer consists of events that do not apply to our ward members. As result we create a general ward calendar with Stake Events that apply to our ward membership, which the auxiliaries use to schedule their events.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jpjazz wrote:Our stake calendar includes events such as monthly baptisms, temple events, and welfare assignments for all 9 units in our stake (these consume all the calendar space on on that given day). Other events such as Stake PEC and region events that do not apply to our ward members also clutter the calendar and make it difficult to read.

While the new layered profile works to an extent to filter out events from one org to another, more than 50% of the stake layer consists of events that do not apply to our ward members.
If that is the case, then it would be good for the stake to reconsider how they've laid out their calendars. A general stake calendar should probably not include Stake PEC and other leadership meetings; those could go on a Stake Leadership calendar (which could be subdivided even further, if needed).

The issue of ward events on the stake calendar is a bit more problematic. The old LUWS calendar had the ability to push events from the stake to one or more ward calendars (see Stake to Ward Event Workflows).

One option would be for the stake to create one calendar for each ward, and put the ward-specific events on that calendar. Then members of each ward would only need to subscribe to their ward's stake calendar. The problem with this approach is that everyone is subscribed by default to all calendars, so every member of your stake would have to unsubscribe from 8 calendars, which is a bit of a hassle.
jpjazz wrote:As result we create a general ward calendar with Stake Events that apply to our ward membership, which the auxiliaries use to schedule their events.
The problem with this approach is that it is static. If the stake changes events, your ward members won't see the changes, unless you hear of the changes and make the corresponding changes on your ward's Stake Events calendar.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jpjazz wrote:Our stake calendar includes events such as monthly baptisms, temple events, and welfare assignments for all 9 units in our stake (these consume all the calendar space on on that given day). Other events such as Stake PEC and region events that do not apply to our ward members also clutter the calendar and make it difficult to read.
As Alan said the stake probably needs to reconsider how they are setting up their calendars. Until units get a hold on how the calendar works you could help them by providing them feedback.

There is no feedback link to your calendar approvers yet on the new calendar yet you can still give them feedback. You can use the feedback link on the classic LUWS to at least get a message to the web administrator for the classic LUWS who most likely has some responsibility for the new calendar. Or at least he should know who it is that needs to hear the feedback.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

tomjohnson1492 wrote:I'm not sure I understand the question. Why would there be stake events that apply only to a single ward?

In classis LUWS, we post all of the ward conferences and visits by stake leaders to various wards and branches, then check the box so that the event only appears on the specific ward or branch.

Anyone looking at the entire stake calendar will see all of the events, and someone looking at a ward calendar will only see those stake visits to that ward.
tomjohnson1492-p40

Post by tomjohnson1492-p40 »

This is a limitation in the new calendar. I tried to address the scenario here: Stake to Ward Event Workflows.

As a workaround until the functionality is in place in Q2 2011, I recommend that ward-specific stake events be created as ward calendars. I'm not sure if I'm shortsighted in that recommendation, though. It seems the only solution that sort of works.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

tomjohnson1492 wrote:This is a limitation in the new calendar. I tried to address the scenario here: Stake to Ward Event Workflows.

As a workaround until the functionality is in place in Q2 2011, I recommend that ward-specific stake events be created as ward calendars. I'm not sure if I'm shortsighted in that recommendation, though. It seems the only solution that sort of works.
That's a good idea for one half of the issue -- it does help the stake have a way to deliver ward-specific calendar items to the intended ward, without cluttering up all the other wards' calendars.

The problem with the proposal is that then there is no stake calendar with all those events. For a ward conference, in particular, lots of stake people need to know about the event and have it on their subscribed calendars. And even for welfare assignments, there are a few stake people who need to see all the ward events. So I guess we could have one or more stake calendars for ward events that gives those stake people the overview. Ward people wouldn't need to subscribe to those calendars, and then the stake calendar administrator could edit ward calendars to get the events on the ward calendars. That's a fair amount of duplication of effort, but it could work.

I rarely miss the LUWS calendar, because the new calendar is so much better in so many ways. But this particular way of putting an event on a stake calendar and then making it visible on one or more selected ward calendars was pretty much perfect for these kinds of scenarios. It would be nice if it were on the backlog and eventually became a feature of the new calendar.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jpjazz-p40

Thank you!

Post by jpjazz-p40 »

I appreciate the advise, I will speak with our stake leaders concerning the comments.

Joe

Return to “Calendar”