Calendar sync issues

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
tomjohnson1492-p40

Post by tomjohnson1492-p40 »

nathanmoon wrote:I am also unable to sync the calendar. I have noticed, as others have, that every time I go to the sync page, the id at the end of the subscribe urls changes. It seems that that id should not be changing, so I wonder if that isn't somewhere close to the root of the problem...
Does anyone have any insight as to why the sync URL changes for some people but remains static for others? I think that if your URL changes, your previous URLs become invalid. So if you're receiving an error, try grabbing the latest URL and doing another sync. I tried replicating this issue on my machine, but my sync URL remains the same no matter what I do.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tomjohnson1492 wrote:Does anyone have any insight as to why the sync URL changes for some people but remains static for others?
Wild guess - does it change if there is any change in the subscription? Perhaps the addition or deletion of calendars?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kyleq

URLs on the Sync page should not change

Post by kyleq »

tomjohnson1492 wrote:Does anyone have any insight as to why the sync URL changes for some people but remains static for others? I think that if your URL changes, your previous URLs become invalid. So if you're receiving an error, try grabbing the latest URL and doing another sync. I tried replicating this issue on my machine, but my sync URL remains the same no matter what I do.
After reading the updates on this thread I walked through the code with one of the developers. We found a bug related to newer users and the sync URL changing.

The bottom line is that the sync URL should never change for a user. We have fixed the issue and are testing internally. This fix should be in the next release of the calendar app.

On a side note thank you for all that each of you are contributing to this application. Your efforts are noticed and, as in this case, make a difference in the quality of the application. Please keep up this incredibly helpful work!
wrigjef

iCal

Post by wrigjef »

Has anyone been able to successfully copy the link in the instructions and paste it into iCal to have the website calendar subscribed as part of your iCal?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wrigjef wrote:Has anyone been able to successfully copy the link in the instructions and paste it into iCal to have the website calendar subscribed as part of your iCal?
At least a couple people have reported success with iCal in this thread: see here and here.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

aebrown wrote:At least a couple people have reported success with iCal in this thread: see here and here.

Thanks. The first post was specific but seemed to focus on the mobile devices. The second post was to vague on how it was done. I have followed the directions using the url on the calendar help page and iCal gives me an error. If we are not going to be using the new calendar for a year, perhaps this feature will get figured out.
rytrunkie

Post by rytrunkie »

wrigjef wrote:Has anyone been able to successfully copy the link in the instructions and paste it into iCal to have the website calendar subscribed as part of your iCal?

I have been successful in doing this.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

When I first tried syncing with iCal back in August 2010 I had problems getting the sync to work. The issue later resolved itself automagically with no intervention on my part. The steps I used were:

1. Copy the http: URL from the calendar sync page after signing in to lds.org.
2. Open iCal and, from the iCal menu bar, navigate to Calendar > Subscribe...
3. In the pop-up window that then appears in iCal, paste the URL into the Calendar URL: field.
4. Click the Subscribe button.
mjr33

iCal SYnc Error

Post by mjr33 »

I have tried to follow the directions as stated to sync our Stake calendar to y iCal, but I keep getting an error. I see many people with the same issue. Any thoughts?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mjr33 wrote:I have tried to follow the directions as stated to sync our Stake calendar to y iCal, but I keep getting an error. I see many people with the same issue. Any thoughts?

If you read this whole thread, you'll see lots of thoughts. Some are based on actual experience, and some are speculative. It seems clear that there is some problem that affects many people, but several people are successful, too. People have tried to come up with a pattern, but as far as I can tell, no one has any reasonable theories as to why some poeple are successful and others aren't.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”