Calendar sync issues

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

gotababy wrote:Alan Brown -- still having same issues as before, seems mult others are also. Thanks!
I'm not sure what I am supposed to do with this post that is directed to me. I'm well aware that some people are having issues. I'm also well aware that many people are syncing with no problems. I'm in no position to change anything -- I have only reported my experiences.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
gotababy

Post by gotababy »

Alan_Brown wrote:I'm not sure what I am supposed to do with this post that is directed to me. I'm well aware that some people are having issues. I'm also well aware that many people are syncing with no problems. I'm in no position to change anything -- I have only reported my experiences.

I was just hoping that you may have heard of a possible work around or something. Thanks again! -James
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd be curious as to why it worked for some and not for others. Is it a characteristic of the event being exported? The calendar being imported to? From what I'm reading, it's consistent but no other pattern has been observed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rbolande

Looks like a server problem for me

Post by rbolande »

I have been trying to get the Google Calendar sync to work for about a week--with no success. Today I started getting the "failed to import" google error that occurs a few minutes after adding the URL in my calendar.

So I took the URL and tried to get my browser to open it. It crashes Firefox for some reason, and IE returns an HTTP 500 error. Here is what I get using the wget utility. It appears something is wrong with the lds.org calendar app or something. Here is the output:

K:\usr\bin>wget.exe --no-check-certificate http://lds.org/church-calendar/services ... subscribe/[link removed by moderator]
--2010-12-09 21:15:42-- http://lds.org/church-calendar/services ... subscribe/[link removed by moderator]
Resolving lds.org (lds.org)... 216.49.176.33
Connecting to lds.org (lds.org)|216.49.176.33|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: https://lds.org/church-calendar/service ... subscribe/[link removed by moderator]
--2010-12-09 21:15:42-- https://lds.org/church-calendar/service ... subscribe/[link removed by moderator]
Connecting to lds.org (lds.org)|216.49.176.33|:443... connected.
WARNING: cannot verify lds.org's certificate, issued by `/C=US/ST=UT/L=Salt Lake City/O=The USERTRUST Network/CN=USERTrust Legacy Secure Server CA': Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority.
WARNING: certificate common name `*.lds.org' doesn't match requested host name `lds.org'.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 500 Internal Server Error
2010-12-09 21:15:43 ERROR 500: Internal Server Error.

One thing of interest is the certificate error. Also notice that even though I am trying to open http:// it gets switched to https://. This could be part of the problem since there is a certificate error of some kind.

If I try to open the webcals URL, I get an indication in IE that it is getting a response from the server, but it can't interpret it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
REID
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

reid_bolander wrote:One thing of interest is the certificate error.
I wonder if the reason that I'm not getting and error in iCal or on the iPhone is that they is not checking (or re-checking) the certificate. It might be that something got mixed up with the certificate when new.lds.org was transitioned to just lds.org.
rytrunkie-p40

Post by rytrunkie-p40 »

When thinking about this, there has to be a reason on why the calendar is not syncing. I attempted to sync my calendar a few months back, back when the link was new.lds.org. Alan Brown, when did you try first try to sync, did you start when it was new.lds.org or after it became lds.org?

As each of our calendar subscriptions are unique to ourselves, I am wondering if it had to do with when we first attempted to sync, or export the calendar.

I didn't notice the change to the dropping of the new.lds.org until researching this issue. I then noticed that I still had the new.lds.org as a calendar subscription but it still had not sync'd. I tried dropping the new, tried copying and pasting the updated address (just lds.org, without the new) to avail.

If I paste the link into chrome, it downloads the .ics file just fine. I can then import the calendar file into iCal or to google calendar (which is what I have been doing on a weekly basis anyway for the last two years).

Any thoughts? Also, I know this is not the right place to ask this question, but does the ldstech forums support tapatalk?

I am on Mac OS 10.6.5, using Chrome, Safari and Firefox, getting the same results.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rytrunkie wrote:When thinking about this, there has to be a reason on why the calendar is not syncing. I attempted to sync my calendar a few months back, back when the link was new.lds.org. Alan Brown, when did you try first try to sync, did you start when it was new.lds.org or after it became lds.org?
My first syncing was done on new.lds.org several months ago. When it switched to lds.org, I deleted my previous synced Google calendar and added a new one using the lds.org URL. Both worked fine.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:I deleted my previous synced Google calendar and added a new one using the lds.org URL.

Ding, ding, ding! This was the key for several of our members who lost the ability to sync about the time of the transition.

Delete previous calendar. Sync new calendar.
lanestevens

Update on Google

Post by lanestevens »

I posted a few days ago regarding the "failed to import" issue with Google. Since then, I have added my calendar and it has been stable for about a day now. The only problem is that the events aren't appearing in the Google calendar.

So - if something has changed on the lds.org side, it seems to have made a difference for me in that the calendar has persisted...
bdabel

Post by bdabel »

This is still an issue for me. Is someone looking into it? I can give someone who is my custom URL so that they can confirm that the link only displays the following in Chrome:
This page contains the following errors:

error on line 1 at column 1: Document is empty
Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.
It is not linked to an ICS file.

Return to “Calendar”