Calendar sync issues

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
GrasseDD
Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:42 am
Location: Eugene, OR

Calendar sync issues

Postby GrasseDD » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:55 pm

Sorry, I apologize if this isn't the forum to ask.

I tried to follow all the instructions on the sync page, and my Google calendar lists my church calendar, but no events show up--at all.

I've migrated all our events over the new.lds.org calendar, and it is full of colorful entries.

Thanks for any help,
D.G.

User avatar
kd7mha
Member
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Logan, Utah

Postby kd7mha » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:21 pm

duanegrasse wrote:Sorry, I apologize if this isn't the forum to ask.

I tried to follow all the instructions on the sync page, and my Google calendar lists my church calendar, but no events show up--at all.

I've migrated all our events over the new.lds.org calendar, and it is full of colorful entries.

Thanks for any help,
D.G.


I have had the same problem with Google calendar syncing ICAL calendars,
I did some searching some time ago and found many complaints about Google calendars inability to stay synced with non Google calendars.

Thunderbird doesn't have a problem, both new and updated events show right away.
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.

stanstrad
New Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:31 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA

Cannot sync new.calendar

Postby stanstrad » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:33 pm

Have tried with no success to sync new calendar to google calendar and to outlook. Does anyone know if there is a solution to this or if there is one in the works. Outlook gives error..."cannot verify or add calendar to Outlook. Make sure the following is a valid calendar link...". Google Calendar says "Failed to import calendar from "http://..." or does nothing and just no events appear. Have tried with Firefox and IE8

kyleq
Community Moderators
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:28 pm
Location: US

Sync

Postby kyleq » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:17 am

sls wrote:Have tried with no success to sync new calendar to google calendar and to outlook. Does anyone know if there is a solution to this or if there is one in the works. Outlook gives error..."cannot verify or add calendar to Outlook. Make sure the following is a valid calendar link...". Google Calendar says "Failed to import calendar from "http://..." or does nothing and just no events appear. Have tried with Firefox and IE8


I was just able to import to OL2007 and Google Calendar without issues. Are you trying it from work behind a firewall or with an older version of OL? When trying to import to OL using IE8 you should get three different prompts prior to the actual import. Is this what happens for you?

GrasseDD
Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:42 am
Location: Eugene, OR

syncing Outlook, Google

Postby GrasseDD » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:32 pm

I'm interested in your success with google--any ideas why it doesn't work with some of us?

I didn't have much luck with OL (2007) til recently, and it seems to work OK.
However, my google calendar looks like it doesn't even try!
D.G.

kyleq wrote:I was just able to import to OL2007 and Google Calendar without issues. Are you trying it from work behind a firewall or with an older version of OL? When trying to import to OL using IE8 you should get three different prompts prior to the actual import. Is this what happens for you?

blairr-p40
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:22 am

Import to Google cal

Postby blairr-p40 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:22 pm

I added the feed for the church-calendar to my Google apps calendar. I can't see it though. It doesn't even sync with my iPad's exchange account.

Should this work or is there a known bug?

bkaz-p40
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:20 am
Location: US

Postby bkaz-p40 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:57 pm

That could be related to a long-standing issue with Google Calendar (not the lds.org feed). "Other Calendars" are notoriously slow to update... sometimes it takes 6 - 24 hours to refresh. The manual refresh button does not refresh calendars that were added by URL (like the lds feed).

You should at least be able to see the calendar in your Google Calendar.

On your iPad, why are you using the exchange account? Can't you use apple's iCal app?

GrasseDD
Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:42 am
Location: Eugene, OR

Postby GrasseDD » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:22 am

I have subscribed and re-subscribed my google calendar to the sync link from the lds.org new calendar. Weeks ago. Still nothing.
It works about half the time in Outlook.
It doesn't show anything on my phone.

I'm very interested in hearing from someone that has successfully synced the new calendar to google, perhaps there is some way of making it work I could glean from you.

Thanks,
D.G.

bkaz wrote:That could be related to a long-standing issue with Google Calendar (not the lds.org feed). "Other Calendars" are notoriously slow to update... sometimes it takes 6 - 24 hours to refresh. The manual refresh button does not refresh calendars that were added by URL (like the lds feed).

You should at least be able to see the calendar in your Google Calendar.

On your iPad, why are you using the exchange account? Can't you use apple's iCal app?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:43 am

duanegrasse wrote:I'm very interested in hearing from someone that has successfully synced the new calendar to google, perhaps there is some way of making it work I could glean from you.


I synced the new calendar to my Google Calendar successfully back when it was on new.lds.org. This morning I subscribed to the calendar now that it is on lds.org. That also worked just fine.

I don't know that I have any great insights to offer. I copied the URL from the Sync page in my new calendar. Then I went to my Google Calendar, and under Other Calendars I chose Add > Add by URL, pasted the URL I had copied, and about a minute later it was imported and the events were all visible. It just worked exactly as I expected.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

Postby techgy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:19 am

Alan_Brown wrote:I synced the new calendar to my Google Calendar successfully back when it was on new.lds.org. This morning I subscribed to the calendar now that it is on lds.org. That also worked just fine.

I don't know that I have any great insights to offer. I copied the URL from the Sync page in my new calendar. Then I went to my Google Calendar, and under Other Calendars I chose Add > Add by URL, pasted the URL I had copied, and about a minute later it was imported and the events were all visible. It just worked exactly as I expected.


I did the exact same thing as Alan and had no problems. The events appeared within seconds.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?


Return to “Calendar”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest