Calendar Sync

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:My experience isn't so much a delayed sync as it is a failure to import when set up.
But how can you tell the difference? Does it actually give you an error message? What if your new synced calendar is set up upon import, but the events are still a few days from appearing? I certainly don't know if that is happening, but if syncing takes so long for an existing calendar, it seems plausible that the same delay could be happening for newly imported calendars as well.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:But how can you tell the difference?
The difference is an event that's already on the calendar when I set it up in Google and one that's added/changed later.

At this point it appears to be a Google problem. I would have expected Google to poll immediately upon setup. It doesn't seem to be doing that. I see no options to force a poll. I don't get any errors that indicate a problem. It just doesn't work.

If I import the file I get from the web browser, it work fine.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Poking around Google:
iCal feeds are not refreshing

We've received reports from users indicating that iCal feeds in Google Calendar are not updating or are experiencing delays in updating. Our team is currently investigating.
Right next to this is a button to report the issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tomjohnson1492-p40

Post by tomjohnson1492-p40 »

I have some new information about the calendar sync. Apparently, the URL is supposed to constantly change each time you refresh the page. When the URL changes, the old URL no longer works. So if you sync'd your calendar using a URL, and then you go back to Options > Sync, the URL will be different, and your previous sync will no longer work.

Does that explain why so many people are receiving errors with the sync?
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

tomjohnson1492 wrote:I have some new information about the calendar sync. Apparently, the URL is supposed to constantly change each time you refresh the page. When the URL changes, the old URL no longer works. So if you sync'd your calendar using a URL, and then you go back to Options > Sync, the URL will be different, and your previous sync will no longer work.

No, because the URL doesn't change for me when I re-visit the sync page (thankfully). iCal continues to update fine, but there is a substantial delay updating events in Google if they update at all.
mackayr

Post by mackayr »

tomjohnson1492 wrote:I have some new information about the calendar sync. Apparently, the URL is supposed to constantly change each time you refresh the page. When the URL changes, the old URL no longer works. So if you sync'd your calendar using a URL, and then you go back to Options > Sync, the URL will be different, and your previous sync will no longer work.

The URL isn't changing for me either. On that note, is there any way to force it to change? Google calendar has this function which can be used if you've shared a calendar with someone and you no longer wish to share it with them - you just have Google issue a new URL. It makes sense that this functionality should exist (although I would prefer to manually force it to change - not have it change every time I visit the sync page).

On a related note, I pasted the URL directly into my browser and downloaded the ical file. I then manually imported that file into Google, and it worked perfectly. Therefore, the data appears to be there, and appears to be correct.

I'll continue to follow this thread for updates.
mackayr

Post by mackayr »

Update: Further to my last post, I just tried setting up the URL as an internet calendar on my wife's Cozi calendar and the sync worked perfectly. Therefore, it appears that the issue may be on Google's end (for those who are having problems specifically with Google). I checked Google calendar help and found that this is a known issue. See http://www.google.com/support/calendar/ ... _issues.cs

Hopefully this will get resolved. This is one of the main functions that I was looking forward to utilizing.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The URL is not changing for me either. I can download the data ok, but Google doesn't seem to be able to. Is something blocking Google's servers?

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:The URL is not changing for me either.
Two thoughts.

1. My browser is sometimes very feisty and loads the cached page unless forced beyond measure to load an updated page, even when I press the reload button. Sometimes the only way to get a real something is to clear the cache.

2. In my Google/iPod Touch experience, Google has a little quirk in my personal calendar where it decides on occasion to wipe my iTouch calendar and relay it again from Google. This always comes, of course, at the most inopportune times, and takes about three minutes, on average. If a whole lot of changes are taking place at the calendar, this may be a causative factor.

There seem to be two times when this wipe/relay takes place.

a. About once a month, from the time I first synced the calendar to my iTouch.

b. Whenever I have made a significant number of changes to the calendar, either on the iTouch or at Google. I do not know how many is significant. I do know that Google sometimes often relays the calendar with its data, and does not pick up on all of the changes I made on my iTouch. This is tolerable for items I deleted (which have to be deleted again), and abominable for items I added (which are now totally missing).

Ah, the joys of technology.
williamjackson

Post by williamjackson »

lajackson wrote:1. My browser is sometimes very feisty and loads the cached page unless forced beyond measure to load an updated page, even when I press the reload button. Sometimes the only way to get a real something is to clear the cache.
The Reload button in Firefox's toolbar does not bypass the cache. You should, however, be able to reload the page without using the cache in a few ways (these are for Windows):
  • Ctrl+Shift+R
  • Ctrl+F5
  • Shift+Click the Reload button
Keyboard shortcuts in Mozilla Firefox

Return to “Calendar”