Calendar Sync

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JedWare wrote:I have our stake presidency needing this information to coordinate our stake calendar release.
I would suggest abandoning this line of thinking. We frequently don't get feedback until it's fixed. On rare occasions when time lines are given, they slip.

My personal recommendation is that you wait until enough bugs have been removed from the calendar that you feel it's ready for prime time and THEN plan a cut over. Cutting over too soon is worse then cutting over too late.

I'm sure the SP would like information now so he can plan, but I think that approach is just going to lead to frustration.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

JedWare wrote:I am need of some confirmation that the issue is being addressed and ideally some timeline when it should be fixed.

I have our stake presidency needing this information to coordinate our stake calendar release. Is there someone I need to call on this issue?
Unfortunately there is nobody you can call that is authorized to give you the information you want. We seldom, if ever, get a timeline for technology projects. We have heard from Church employees that the internal time lines will not be released to the public. All too often when a timeline is set there are issues that may delay it.

The only timeline related to the new calendar is sometime in February for a new look that will be simplified and more intuitive. That timeline and description of what to come is vague for those wanting more precision and detail.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
tomjohnson1492-p40

Post by tomjohnson1492-p40 »

In the last 2 weeks there have been 424 responses submitted about the calendar and directory. I try to skim them to note trends with problems. From that list and from forums posts I've created the Known Limitations page (which unfortunately keeps growing).

If you feel that submitting bugs via the feedback or through this forum is landing on deaf ears, feel free to send them to me directly at johnsonth@ldschurch.org. The calendar team is fairly small. We were pressured to cut over with the transition from new.lds.org to lds.org. We know there are bugs, esp. with sync, and there's no clear resolution for many of them. Sorry, we're working on it.
mmathson

Post by mmathson »

Thank you Tom. That was a good idea to put up that page.

Any update on the sync issue?
TRasch

Follow the link

Post by TRasch »

Shouldn't we be able to past the provided link into a browser and see the calendar? If I paste the link provided to me to sync with "http://lds.org/church-calendar/services ... 356023xxxx"
into a browser I get:

This page contains the following errors:

error on line 1 at column 1: Document is empty
Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

The instructions to use the calendar in iCal or google are very simple. It would be very difficult to make a mistake... It seem as though they just don't work.

Does anyone have suggestions?
jhorchemjr
Location: Bonfield, Kankakee County, Illinois, United States of America

Apple iCal Subscription Error

Post by jhorchemjr »

I am having the same problem with trying to sync through Apple's iCal on my MacBook Pro. The actual messages are "There was an error subscribing to the calendar." and "There was an unexpected error with the request on subscribed calendars (error -1)."

At this point I am unsure how to get a clearer determination of why there was an unexpected error. An Apple forum may have some answers and/or be able to point to an internal log of what is occurring.
mmathson

Post by mmathson »

You guys should check out what Tom Johnson posted on the calendar wiki/help:

https://tech.lds.org/ldshelp/index.php5 ... imitations
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've got a different problem.

I created a calendar and added 4 events in January. I then got a sync URL and pasted it into my Google calender. Even after waiting overnight, none of the events is showing up in Google.

If I paste that URL into a web browser, I get a file that contains the events. I've verified that the URL in Google is correct and that it's set to show.

I've not pulled up the specifications for the format to see if there's something wrong with the layout.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:I created a calendar and added 4 events in January. I then got a sync URL and pasted it into my Google calender. Even after waiting overnight, none of the events is showing up in Google.
I don't know what factors affect the delay, but I know our stake executive secretary added some events to a stake calendar on Sunday. I noticed on Wednesday that they still weren't appearing on my synced Google calendar. I didn't look yesterday, but today (Friday) they are showing up. So that's a delay of at least 3 days, possibly as much as 5.

I don't consider such a delay to be reasonable, but it's worth noting that the problem you're reporting may simply be a long delay, rather than an outright failure.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

My experience isn't so much a delayed sync as it is a failure to import when set up.

Return to “Calendar”