Calendar Best Practices

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

samliddicott wrote:I created an extra calendar for leadership meetings, such as Relief Society Presidency, Ward Council, Bishopric, Young Mens Presidency etc..

I'd be interested in how well that works. Good idea.
washyw

dedicated calendar for combined activities

Post by washyw »

We created a separate calendar for combine activities. i.e. "Ward YM/YW" or "Stake YM/YW"
hpaulsen

Post by hpaulsen »

I've got another issue now that I'm curious how others are handling: How do people set up stake-assigned ward assignments? It seems that this would be best on a ward calendar, but it is not currently possible to have stake editors on ward calendars. I set up a single stake calendar for "Stake Temple and Humanitarian Assignments", or something similar, but it immediately caused some confusion by someone who didn't look carefully enough at who the calendar was for. So, I'm thinking that the stake should create stake calendars for each ward on which they can list assignments. I'm concerned about calendar overload, but this seems the most reasonable solution to me at the moment. Any other ideas?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

hpaulsen wrote:I've got another issue now that I'm curious how others are handling: How do people set up stake-assigned ward assignments? It seems that this would be best on a ward calendar, but it is not currently possible to have stake editors on ward calendars.
We have sent out old fashioned e-mails and asked the wards to put such events on their ward calendars.

Everytime we try to figure out how best to parse the new calendar system, the immediate solution is to create a separate calendar for every event. Obviously, this is counterproductive.

We have actually moved to a single stake calendar with everything on it and no resources assigned. We are using it as a calendar, not a resource planner, and the single calendar is the best way we have found to deal with the issues at hand for the present.

It has become just too time consuming to sit around discussing which calendar will receive the event, and continually coming to the conclusion that a new calendar is needed. So we stopped doing that.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Realizing that there will be members of our stake who could care less about a stake meeting, ward assignments, etc, we have created separate calendars as follows;

Stake Calendar: Holds all stake-level events such as Stk Conf, Recommend Interviews, etc. These are events that would be of interest to the majority of the stake membership.

Stake Meetings: Meetings at the stake level such as: Stake PEC, Bishoprics Meetings, Public Affairs,

Broadcasts
: All satellite broadcasts.

Ward Assignments: All ward assignments such as Temple, DI, Cannery, Etc.

These are the only categories at the stake level and we have found that almost everything thus far will fit into one of them.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
nathangg

Post by nathangg »

Here is what we have right now (CLF is our ward abbreviation)
  • CLF _Ward Calendar
  • CLF Elders Quorum
  • CLF High Priests
  • CLF Relief Society
  • CLF Young Men
  • CLF Young Women
  • CLF Youth Activities
I'm thinking about adding two more: "CLF Primary" and "CLF Leadership Meetings", but I'm holding off until I get some feedback from the auxiliaries. (Not that many have started using it yet)

However, our Young Men have been moving everything off of their Google Calendar on to this one (either the Youth Activities or the Young Men calendar).

We also abbreviate everything: PQ/TQ/DQ/YM/Youth, etc, etc. That way someone looking at the calendar should hopefully know what the event is (which calendar it is on + the abbreviations hopefully gives enough info).

Thanks!
nathangg

Post by nathangg »

techgy wrote:Realizing that there will be members of our stake who could care less about a stake meeting, ward assignments, etc, we have created separate calendars as follows;

Stake Calendar: Holds all stake-level events such as Stk Conf, Recommend Interviews, etc. These are events that would be of interest to the majority of the stake membership.

Stake Meetings: Meetings at the stake level such as: Stake PEC, Bishoprics Meetings, Public Affairs,

Broadcasts
: All satellite broadcasts.

Ward Assignments: All ward assignments such as Temple, DI, Cannery, Etc.

These are the only categories at the stake level and we have found that almost everything thus far will fit into one of them.
I like this idea... but I'm wondering if it would be valuable to add one more, such as Stake Youth Activities? Our stake has tons and tons and tons of things on the stake calendar and it is kind of overwhelming to subscribe to it.

Or perhaps we should go the route of just analyzing the stake calendar every month and then duplicating youth events to our ward calendar when it applies? (I'm at the ward level btw).

Hmmm, perhaps that is the best way for now... just have our youth leaders scan the stake calendar for upcoming events and duplicate them to our calendar.

I know that is not ideal, but I think that every group could make a request to the stake that a separate calendar be created: "Stake Youth Activities", "Stake YSA Activities", "Stake SA Activities", "Stake Cannery Assignments", "Stake Service Projects", etc etc.

If we just stick with a few calendars at the Stake Level and then let the ward leaders scan and duplicate events that pertain to their ward, we won't have to worry about tons and tons of calendars.

Thoughts?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nathangg wrote:Or perhaps we should go the route of just analyzing the stake calendar every month and then duplicating youth events to our ward calendar when it applies? (I'm at the ward level btw).
IIRC, all members are automatically subscribed to all non-private calendars by default, so that seems to be expecting all the members to unsubscribe from the stake calendar.

Also, I can see where this will cause problems. We had problems in the past with printed stake calendars where leaders were still using the January version in October and causing problems. I see this suggestion as a step back to the "bad old days".
nathangg wrote:I know that is not ideal, but I think that every group could make a request to the stake that a separate calendar be created: "Stake Youth Activities", "Stake YSA Activities", "Stake SA Activities", "Stake Cannery Assignments", "Stake Service Projects", etc etc.

Well, that's one way of doing things, each organization having their own calendar. Another way is to create one calendar for each "target group". So things like the "Stake Service Project" would go on the "Stake General Calendar" since presumably it would apply to all adults in the stake.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bflash98

Cancel Event Emails

Post by bflash98 »

How are people handling sending out notifications that an event has been cancelled?

We had a missionary baptism scheduled that has since been cancelled. An email already went out saying the event is coming up but I'm not sure how I can send an email to the subscribers of the calendar to let them know the event has been cancelled.

I'm interested in hearing what other people are doing.

Thanks,

Return to “Calendar”