beta calendar transition

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

atticusewig wrote:Has anyone heard if any of the data from the current LUWS calendar (not the beta) will transition over to the new calendar, when it comes out of beta ?
The answer is no, as noted in this post.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

As a practical matter, it wouldn't be a good idea to automatically move the data from the LUWS calendar to the beta one. They're structured differently.

The LUWS calendar is one calender for the unit. The new system allows for multiple calendars. Typically I'd expect one calendar per organization in the unit so that members can select what events they see.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

RussellHltn wrote:The LUWS calendar is one calendar for the unit. The new system allows for multiple calendars. Typically I'd expect one calendar per organization in the unit so that members can select what events they see.
I'd even go so far as to suggest that you make as many calendars as possible so that each member will be able to see exactly what they are interested in and filter out what they don't. For example, I was originally going to create just a Young Men and a Young Women calendar, but I quickly realized that each class and quorum within those organizations often have different activites. Having a separate calendar for each class and quorum will allow each family and member to have a uniquely customized calendar that has no extraneous events. The same can be applied to various types of Relief Society meetings, etc.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

oregonmatt wrote:I'd even go so far as to suggest that you make as many calendars as possible so that each member will be able to see exactly what they are interested in and filter out what they don't. For example, I was originally going to create just a Young Men and a Young Women calendar, but I quickly realized that each class and quorum within those organizations often have different activites. Having a separate calendar for each class and quorum will allow each family and member to have a uniquely customized calendar that has no extraneous events. The same can be applied to various types of Relief Society meetings, etc.
I wonder about that... One of the many uses of calendars is to view and prevent possible conflicts. With everyone having their own calendar, you would have to check several to avoid a running into some elses meeting or activity. Now I have not played around much with the beta calendar so maybe this is not an issue.....
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

zaneclark wrote:I wonder about that... One of the many uses of calendars to view and prevent possible conflicts. With everyone having their own calendar, you would have to check several to avoid a running into some elses meeting or activity. Now I have not played around much with the beta calendar so maybe this is not an issue.....
Identifying conflicts is not really an issue. It takes about 3 seconds to enable viewing of all of the calendars before scheduling an event. Anybody scheduling something would be wise to do so.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Actually, I think in many cases one may find two calenders per quorum or auxiliary: Membership and leadership.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
zaneclark

Beta Calendar login problem

Post by zaneclark »

Has there been a change in the login requirement for the beta calendar? I have accessed it successfully several times but today it tells me I am making a "Bad Request." Sounds ominous!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

zaneclark wrote:Has there been a change in the login requirement for the beta calendar? I have accessed it successfully several times but today it tells me I am making a "Bad Request." Sounds ominous!
I have gotten that message when the server was down. I am not having any problems accessing the beta calendar right now though.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
FullmerCB
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by FullmerCB »

mactoph wrote:Has there been any statement made on whether the data we put into the current calendar will carry over when the product comes out of beta?

Events will remain when we move from beta to live (LDS.org). Events from the old Stake & Ward Website calendar (Local Unit Website or LUW) will not be automatically brought over to the new calendar. However, we intend to make it easy to bulk import events into the new calenadar, so that you could export from the LUW calendar.

The goal though, is to avoid that as much as possible by helping train units throughout mid 2010 on the new calendar so that by Oct 2010, they're ready to begin entering 2011 events into the new calendar & can make a smooth transition on Jan 1, 2011 to using the new one exclusively.

Good discussion.
ihenpecked

Post by ihenpecked »

So is there a limit to the amount of calendars we can create? I am creating a road map to help get our stake ready for Oct. 2011

Return to “Calendar”